Computer just goes black when trying to standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL_NESS

Baseband Member
Here's my problem, i have windows xp home, i click standby and my standby settings are set to 3 in the bios. And all that happens is the screen goes black and the fans, etc stays on. It doesn't say "preparing to standby" or nothing just an instant black screen. All my drivers are installed, really bothering me to know my computer isn't working properly..

Check your power settings. Is disk activity set to be left on or turn off? Could be that something is accessing the hard drive and preventing it from going into standby.

Right click the desktop>Properties. Select Screen saver and then power options. There it doesnt give you something that looks like this?

poweroptions.png

That was taken from my laptop and it has the options on there.

Turn off hard disks is set to never. So i would look to something accessing the drive.

Have you gone thru Osiris's Spyware Guide? I would recommend it with the problems you seem to be having.

Standby always used to work, i never ever had to even look into power options, i left it as default. Standby works when i use vista, but not when i use xp. The way i have my dual boot setup is seperate, not combined so if i want to use say vista i press f12 and boot from that harddrive etc. Not a command window saying which operating system do you want to start.

There is something wrong with your XP install. I have given you this information in the thread in the Windows area.

Okay?

That doesnt have any bearing on the problems you are having.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom