Partitioning and formatting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put it this way. Right now i have my main os and most of my games on a 500gb hdd. Then i have a 1tb drive partitioned into 4 parts. One 95gb one, 2 40gb, and one 760gb one. It gives you room for expansion, and you can organize things.

hey majistic, could you post that link again please. wiki is saying that it cant find it. thanks

I fixed the link.

Partitioning a drive is absolutely necessary if you plan on putting another OS on the same drive for a dual boot (or tri, or quad...). I have used a partition to hold my data, such as music and files, so I could format my OS partition without losing them.

I have partitioned multiple drives to fill different purposes. I have partitioned my main drive to have a dual-boot of two OS's, and then partitioned my other drive to be able to install programs for the two OS's on different partitions as well as a data partition for files that I wanted to be readily available for both.

Partitons are rooms and formatting creates the shelves for the files. (good analogy?)
so if you wanted to you could have Windows see it as 2 seperate drives with 2 drive letters by splitting up the drive (partitioning) leaving it unused makes no sense.
Most people under normal conditions make one big C drive, but as was said you could install Windows on one use the other for something else. keep it seperate incase you reinstall Windows and want to keep that data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom