Just a few more parts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Illamatic

Solid State Member
Sup guys! I'm currently abroad in Beijing and I have the advantage of getting every part cheaper (I saw a GTX 295 MSI for roughly US$440 walking around a shady computer center today), and since I'm going to be staying here for quite a while, my laptop isn't gonna cut it =P So here's my current home away from home setup:

PROCESSOR

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core

MOTHERBOARD

ASUS P6T LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

GRAPHICS CARD

SAPPHIRE 100260SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 1GB 512-bit (2 x 256-bit) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported

RAM

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit

HARD DRIVE

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3320613AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

DVD/RW

Sony Optiarc 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model AD-7220A

SOUND CARD

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card

NETWORK CARD

Intel PWLA8391GT 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter 1 x RJ45

PROCESSOR COOLING

Thermaltake V1 Max-Performance CPU Cooler with Massive 110mm Blue LED Full-Range Variable Speed Fan CL-P0401

POWER PROTECTION

OPTI-UPS SS1200BLK 6 Outlets Voltage Stabilizer

CASE

???

POWER SUPPLY

???

Any thoughts on this beast?

The prices on Newegg USA are a bit higher than Newegg China, except I have no idea how to read Chinese so I might as well go out and buy the parts myself. Oddly enough, the LG 22x was around USD$20 more than the Sony, and none of the shops had a GTX 285 in stock (8 floors, at least 20+ shops per floor for everything computer-related), but the GTX 295 was showcased everywhere! Right now I'm looking for a case that would be great with this setup (the 4850s are HUGE); I don't mind shipping an NZXT over if need be as I can't find any good ones here. Power supply's a great question too; I don't know what the HD4850x2 demands as this is my first ATI I'm experimenting with (Core 216 back home, so this rig is actually better lol). I'm just taking advantage of the cheap stuff here!

Build looks pretty good. Just a few thing I would change.
This is better ram because of the timings:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Lower the better.

You shouldn't need a network card, because the motherboard will have the connections you will need. And that isn't the greatest sound card, and the onboard sound is probably just as good. If your really into music and audio check out a Asus Xonar or Ht Omega.

A 4850x2 doesn't consume that much power so this power supply would do:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

And the cpu cooler you chose isn't that great, this a lot better for the price:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Need this bracket too:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Pick up some TX-2 thermal paste, its pretty much the best out there.

I don't know what you should use for a case, it personal preference really. Try checking out a Antec 900, they're popular.

Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Lower the better.

You shouldn't need a network card, because the motherboard will have the connections you will need. And that isn't the greatest sound card, and the onboard sound is probably just as good. If your really into music and audio check out a Asus Xonar or Ht Omega.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Need this bracket too:

I don't know what you should use for a case, it personal preference really. Try checking out a Antec 900, they're popular.

You should be paid for what you do, sir. Haha.

But yeah, I picked a bunch of stuff off of some websites and looked up some great prices on Newegg, as I assumed that everything over here is EVEN cheaper. So I kinda just took it down as I saw it. I was actually thinking between the OCZ and the Corsair, might read up on those two more.

I heard somewhere that the 4850 x2 ate watts off the wall like a fat kid at a buffet :\ And I wasn't exactly sure on the wattage cause my core 216 uses 600w.
And I was actually thinking about getting a Killer, but they don't seem to have that here, because frankly the free wifi at Starbucks is a godsend compared to communist internet (but in the end I'm still trying to cover a sliced artery with a band-aid).

Here's a review on the 4850x2 that shows power consumption and stuff:
techPowerUp :: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2048 MB Review :: Page 24 / 30

The optical drive you listed is IDE, you want SATA:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
You don't have to get the one I listed, you can get yours but SATA verison.

Ha, communist internet sounds rough. Don't get a Killer NIC, they're a huge waste of money. It mostly depends on your internet provider.

Lower the better.

Need this bracket too:

+ 1

Also don't get the SB Audigy SE, because its weaker than the normal Audigy SB and that's barely better than most current onboard nowadays...

If you get a sound card, spend like $50+ for a good one

Here's a review on the 4850x2 that shows power consumption and stuff:
techPowerUp :: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 X2 2048 MB Review :: Page 24 / 30

The optical drive you listed is IDE, you want SATA:
Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
You don't have to get the one I listed, you can get yours but SATA verison.

Ha, communist internet sounds rough. Don't get a Killer NIC, they're a huge waste of money. It mostly depends on your internet provider.

I read somewhere else that it ate a lot more than my 216, plus it's terribly loud like the 4870. I don't really mind the sound though, but I didn't think it would only need ~650w (my rig at home is 600w).

Yeah, the NIC is out of the question now; I thought I was stuck with the speed I have now (it's literally less than 128 kbps, the fastest I've gotten was 89 kbps off the wall - and there's a 20 GB monthly limit that I have to share amongst three families closeby), but I'm just gonna grab the Dragon package for myself (yes, it's called the DRAGON package, I'm currently on the JADE package) that's supposedly 7 mbps with 35 GB.

The charts show its a bit of a jump.. (it consumes as much power IDLE as the HD 4870..

79 more watts on Average.. 63 more on System Peak...

In other words.. your PSU is fine

Hmm, I think I'm going for the Antec 900 Black. Including gt7sanremo's awesome advice, I should be set for everything except the display. I hear that the 4850 X2 works best on 22", and I'm willing to spend a lot for the best HD1080 monitor out there (or if anything's better). Any suggestions?

The TX-2 Thermal Paste, I've seen loads of people talking about it but that's about it. I hope I'm not putting myself on the noob seat by asking what exactly does it do (benefits, etc?). Is it a pain in the backside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom