A Cheap CPU/Mobo Upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuRpLeSmUrF

In Runtime
Okay, My brother wants me to pick out a new CPU/Mobo for him. With about a 125 spending limit for both combined. The only games he plays are WoW and Warhammer Online.

I was thinking of going with
Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

or

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600 Brisbane 2.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

This Biostar Mobo is what I'd prolly get if I went with the Intel

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR P4M900-M7 FE LGA 775 VIA P4M900 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

EDIT: Linked the amd cpu as the Bio mobo.

Its not, the e5200 is faster than the e6600...

Don't go by the number of the model number unless they are in the same series

Okay, cool. Well, I did a google search of the e5200 and found some benchmarks since Tomshardware didn't seem to have any on it. That will be a pretty good cpu for 70$ don't yah think?

On the motherboard you suggested I don't need a 1000mb lan because I use satalite and the max dl's I get are at about 300kb a sec...but, the FSB is 1333/1066 and the Biostar is 1066/800...so I the Biostar would work just fine since the E5200 FSB is only 800mhz anyways right?

The e5200 is a great little CPU.

The G31 he mentioned is a fine mobo, I would prefer that one over your VIA chipset Biostar.

Thanks for the sharege of knowledge guys. Rep points for all of you! lol.

I found a list of intel chipsets on wiki so that will help for future refrence now that I know about em.

Btw, are Intel chipsets usually better than the others?

Well, it depends on who you talk to really. I used to be a huge fan of the nForce chipsets, back with the 680i and such. But lately, I've been taking a liking to the P43/45 series. It really boils down to a matter of preference and which chipset you're talking about specifically. For example, I'm not a huge fan of the 750i, even though I like nForce chipsets.

For a budget board, the G31 is great, but if I was actually spending money, I'd buy a P45. So it all really depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom