Gaming Computer Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokedude565

Baseband Member
Edit: I said "I" alot of times, didn't I? :)

I have spent ages on this rig so please give constructive criticism. This is also my first.
I do not plan to build this (at least, not any time soon), I would just like to know what
I could improve on.Also, I am not going to overclock this because its my first gaming
rig and I don't want to risk losing thousands. Also (again), what else do I still have to
decide apart from Sound Card, CD/DVD Drive and the outside accesories (Monitor,
mouse, etc).

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 - Intel, Newegg
MOBO - Asus P6T Deluxe - Asus, Newegg
RAM - OCZ Flex DDR3 PC3-12800 (2X1GB) - Note: Two of these - OCZ, Newegg
HDD - WD Cavalier Black 1TB SATA - Note: Two of these - WDC, Newegg
GPU - HIS Hightech Radeon HD 4870 1GB - Note: Two of these - Newegg
PSU - SeaSonic M12 700W ATX12V - Newegg
Cooler - Xigmatke HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Newegg
Case - Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Steel ATX Full Tower - Cooler Master, Newegg
OS - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premum Edition 32-bit - Microsoft

Forget the 965. Get the 920.
Modern day CPU's are sooooo very hard to destroy via overclocking, and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars + all you need to do is change one or two values to get to 3ghz+ on the 920.

Next, swap that ram for this:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Best DDR3 ram out right now.

In addition swap Ultimate for Home Premium and get yourself a Xigmatek Rifle S1283 cooler with the L1366 Crossbow mounting kit.

Forget the 965. Get the 920.
Modern day CPU's are sooooo very hard to destroy via overclocking, and you can save yourself hundreds of dollars + all you need to do is change one or two values to get to 3ghz+ on the 920.

Next, swap that ram for this:
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
Best DDR3 ram out right now.

In addition swap Ultimate for Home Premium and get yourself a Xigmatek Rifle S1283 cooler with the L1366 Crossbow mounting kit.

But I thought the 32-bit Vista could only support 4GBs of RAM? Oh well. Anyway, I'll fix it up and change it to what you said soon. Also, could you please add a Newegg link (if there is one) for the L1366 Crossbow mounting kit and an official link for the Xigmatek Rifle S1283 Cooler. Anyway, thanks for the help.

It looks like he's getting 4GB. Really you should get 3 or 6GB and 64 bit vista home premium. Also if you are planning to RAID 0 those WDs I recommend you don't.

The reason I'm not getting 64-bit is because some programs aren't compatible with it.

I don't believe this to generally be the truth at all.

Same here, though my mother (a senior computing lecturer) insists on disagreeing :p I think there's quite a bit of opinion involved, and it depends on what programs you use.

The development of computer technology goes really fast. It seems like yesterday that the Core 2 processors were all the rage. Now it's all about i7.
Since you're not planning to build any time soon it's very likely that this build would be outdated by the time you do decide to build. Of course there's no harm in orienting about this stuff already though.

On a side note, I've used Vista 64 bit and although it was compatible with all my programs it did seem to be a lot slower with regular stuff like booting up, copy paste, delete and installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom