Please help with core i7 build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puressence

In Runtime
Hey all,
A little backround. I am currently on a Dell laptop since my Dell Desktop recently died on me. Needless to say, I have been unable to game for the past month or so and am looking to get back into it. I was initially thinking of going the cyberpower or ibuypower route, and actually found these forums while trying to research the different components that I wanted. After reading through many different posts, I realized that the only way I could get full 100% customization was if I were to build the computer myself. Also, it appears that members here have recommended to others that they build themselves vs going the cyberpower route. This will be a huge undertaking for me, but it is one that I want to take on. Hopefully you guys will be willing to help me as I have seen your willingness to help others like me. My computer will be used for light to moderate gaming. I want components that will last me for the next several years, with moderate upgrading along the way as needed. I do have a few questions as well as a few desires as to what I want with my system.

I have been looking at the Coolermaster 932 HAF and think that is the route I want to go.
As the title says, I would like to go with the Intel Core i7 920 2.66. I may do a slight overclock, but certainately do not need to have the fastest cpu. I am looking for stability over speed. Water cooling was something that I was looking at and aspire really seems to know his s**t in that regard, but I think that with my needs/desires, I could be happy with air cooling.

OS- Windows Vista PRO 64-bit Question on that - I have a copy that came with my laptop. Would I be able to install that on my new system? Or is that a one copy for one computer type of deal?

RAM OCZ, G.skill, corsair 6gigs RAM is not my expertise so I am open to suggestions.

HDD I looked at the WD velociraptor and wonder if you guys think I need it. I also read some solid state reviews and am not sure if that would be a better route for me. I'd like to have a fast drive for OS and games, and possibly a 7200 drive for my files and "junk"

GPU I would like to stick with the Nvidia side of things. Ive been looking at the gtx 285 or 295. I understand that gtx 295 in SLI is overkill for todays needs. I am also hearing those cards run hot. Are 2 gtx 285 in SLI better than one gtx 295? Perhaps I go with One gtx 295 and upgrade to 2 WAY in the future should games require it. Just wanted to throw that out there......food for thought and all that.

PSU I'd pick probably a 700-850 Watt PSU from the list that's been stickied.

And of course I'd get some sort of DVD ROM drive, but I have been focusing on the other components first.

Last thing, and its hard to admit this, but I want this thing to light up like its the fourth of July. I've seen a lot of youtube videos of people and their flashy cases, and I want that lol. Cold Cathode here I come.

Anyhow to sum it all up, I'd like a system that won't be bottlenecked anywhere. I want it to run stable and cool. Games I play include Microsoft FSX, Counterstrike Source, and Warcraft 3. I know that this system should have no problem with these games. I was limited on what I could play b/c I was on a Pentium 4 System. I'd like to get into some more "modern" games. My budget is relatively flexible. I know that the components I am interested in are going to cost a fair amount of cash. I'm looking at spending anywhere from about $1800 to $2200. Again, there is flexibility here. If I can spend less than that, great. If I need to go slightly over, then so be it. I just would like the "techies" to play around with the info that I have given.

Thanks All,
Puressence

Building PCs is the easy part, no need to worry about that.
The HAF is a fine case but I don't know if it has that light show effect you are going for.
The i7 920 is certainly the i7 you want but I don't think there is such a thing as vista pro. There is home premium which is the one most recommended around here and you would need another copy to get it installed on the new PC.
As for drives, I don't see why you would need SSD right now and gaming certainly doesn't need them. I do recommend two physically separate HDDs - one for the OS and software, the other larger one for data

Yea, I meant Vista Ultimate, which is what I have running on my laptop. And as far as the lights go, I was thinking i'd have to get some cold cathode lights and put them in the system along with the rest of the components. Will I notice a dramatic increase if I were to buy WD velociraptor drives? They are pricey, and I'd probably go with a 7200 RPM drive if the difference isnt too noticable. I'm sure someone is going to mention a Raid 0 setup. I get the idea behind it, but am clueless as how to set it up. Plus, I am hesitant to do that due to possible failure of a drive.

CPU & Mobo:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Cpu Cooler:
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Ram & HDD:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

SSD:
Newegg.com - Patriot PE32GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid state disk (SSD) - Solid State Disks
Run your OS on this, should be super fast.

PSU:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

GPU:
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGEGTX2951792E GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Out of stock though

Optical:
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Case:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Looks like a good case, another one I can think of is a Cooler Master Cosmos. But they aren't as flashy.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Total comes to $1880.73 including shipping. There is also $50 of mail in rebates. Feel free to change a few things, it's not set in stone. Only thing I'm not sure on is the Biostar Motherboard. It's excellent for overclocking, but other people may suggest other overclocker friendly boards.

Thanks for the recommendation GT7. So you think I should go the SSD route vs the velociraptor route? Also, if you dont mind my asking, why do you recommend the 295 over the 285? I am hearing that the 295s get hot, and that the driver support is still lacking. I'm not trying to question your suggestions. Just trying to get all around insight.
-Pure

Windows 7 is made to take more advantage of SSD, so fi you want a little more future proof hard drive I would pick up a small SSD for your OS. And then get a larger 7200rpm for storage.

Raptors aren't worth it at all. A normal 7200.11 with 32mb of cache is just as fast. Now ssd drives are fast. But, you don't have to use one if you don't want to. Go on youtube and search for ssd boot up and you'll see how fast they are.

I thought you wanted a 295? But you can get a 285 as well or two of them if you want.
AnandTech: GeForce GTX 285: 55nm Enabling Higher Performance

I am split on my decision of the 285 vs 295. I am concerned with heat and driver support. I am hearing that the 295s get hot. Perhaps it won't be an issue since I am going with the HAF case. Also, I am currently researching MOBOs. The more I research this, the more I am thinking I might want to OC. So many decisions to make.....

FYI, the monitor I will be using is a 22" Dell 1680x1050 with a 2 ms response time. Here is the link for it if more info is needed. Thanks.

22" Dell SP2208WFPt Widescreen DVI LCD Monitor w/HDMI & 2.0MP Webcam & USB Hub (Silver/Black) Dell SP2208WFPT
Can anyone tell me if this is a decent monitor??

Here is what I have so far. Feel free to offer any Input/Changes.

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Going to check price at Frys before I buy from New Egg
CPU: Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Motherboard: Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TpowerX58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
GPU: Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1291-AR GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
CPU Cooler: Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - CPU Fans & Heatsinks
RAM: Newegg.com - CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory
HDD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
DVD: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners
PSU: Newegg.com - Thermaltake Thoughpower W0178RU 850W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified
NVIDIA QUAD-SLI APPROVED 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Cold Cathode (hold the laughter please):
Newegg.com - LOGISYS Computer CLK12BL 12" Cold Cathode kit - Case Accessories

Okay, so this is a rough build of what I want. Wondering if I will have space issues with the gtx 295 on the motherboard i selected. Looking for feedback/proposed changes from the techies. Also, please tell me why you would make the changes you suggest. Thanks,
Pure

You know the HAF comes with a red led fan. So you might want to either switch your cathode light color or your fan led color.

And I recommend taking apart the HAF down to the metal interior, get some premier and flat/satin black spray paint and go at it. Since Coolermaster was too lazy to include this option unlike Antec, Silverstone, and other computer case companys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom