Is it possible to make sata 3 my primary HD? And how

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattl148

Baseband Member
I bought a new Geforce 9800 GTX+ for my Dell Vostro 410 computer, Unfortunately, the cables that connect from the Hard drive and CD rom drive are in the way. The hard drive has a blue cable that connects to Sata 0 plug on the motherboard and is completly in the way of installing this card.

Is it possible to plug it into the sata 3 plug as well as the CD rom into the sata 5. This would allow me to install the card as the plugs would not be in the way.

I tried plugging the HD into the sata and went into CMOS and tried to make it primary boot drive, however, when i saved and exited and it restarted, I would get a "No boot device detected, press enter to retry". I went into the boot menu and booted from the SATA 3 and it worked. The problem is, every time i start up the computer I get the "No boot device detected, press enter to retry" and I have to go into boot menu and manually boot up from sata 3. Is there anyway to make this default so it doesnt pop up every time I start up the computer?

I'm not sure it would work, I'm pretty sure I can BARELY fit it with the plug bare. If I gave it a shot, would that cable be compatible with my mobo? Also the cable connector to my DVD/CD rom drive is also in the way, would it work with that as well?

mattl148 - try posting a pic of your computer. In particular, the area in question. It would greatly assist whomever may be able to help you out of your predicament :)

Ninja

Try setting SATA 3 as the boot drive in your BIOS. That should do the trick.

Okay, somehow I got it to work. Question, will making my primary HD on SATA 3 cause any decrease in performance? Is there any disadvantages in doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom