My Rig, maybe soon with pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you mean "Better"?

Performance wise no, its the exact same specs.. clocks are all the same...

Temp wise, yes, the MSI has copper heat-pipes which allow it to cool better

The nvidia card is better (gtx 260 core 216) because most games are optimized for nvidia. im pretty sure just about in every game the gtx 260 does better than the 4870. I think nvidia's drivers have gotten better now too and ATI's are more buggy. last bit I could be wrong, I just know the 4870 x2 has had a lot of problems

The GTX 260 Core 216 has about the same performance as the HD 4870.

After looking at the MSI more closely I noticed the memory does not have heatsinks which is a major drawback in my opinion. Because of that I take back my previous recommendation.

I also noticed this sapphire which has higher core and memory clocks but is also cheaper than the one you had before.

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100243-1GTXSR Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

It has heat sink, and a long copper one accross.. something... are you sure thats not over the memory?

and yes I meant cooled better.

and yea.... the Nvidea is same rank as the 4870, and I know I can run 2x 4870 GPU with the power supply I bought. Anyone saying that the Nvid is better has changed something, overclocked, or cooled differently.

Is the stock fan going to be alright on the CPU? Reviews say that the i7 come pre-applied with some thermal paste,Shin-Etsu G751, however when I look at my parts, I see shiny copper on the Fan/heat sink and I can read the words on the processor top.... so I don't think mine has any paste on it.

I also need suggestions for a replacement heatsink/fan unit if it won't do, as well as .. thermal.. unless Arctic Silver 5 is still amazingly sweet.Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Just to make sure- the thermal paste that is supposed to come with the i7 on the cooler- it isn't "black" in colour is it? The standard cooler has a Copper bottom to touch the cpu- and it has an odd pattern, with a "black" center, could this be thermal compound of some sort?

Well ok its kinda "gray" in color when looked at with lights on lol. its in 3 strips with even spaces between the strips

New to intel new stuff. by that I mean I have never bought an Intel new- always hand me downs and stuff. Lol. The stock grease was said to be as effective as Arctic 5, so I think I'll just keep it stock for now, I don't plan on over clocking it right away anyway, so no big deal right?

Case issues- I don't have my money for the HAF 93x I want. I do have an very old- very generic mid tower. The air flow might be a problem Were talking like 1 side fan and 1-2 exhaust fans, no front intake or vent. Do you think it will work- non overclock? Or should I keep the side door off?

Because unless the HAF can drop down to about 115 dollars with shipping, I am out of luck, even Friday (payday)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom