n00b here on PCI-E PCI Express?

Status
Not open for further replies.

caltraskoo

Baseband Member
I have a 9500 GT 1G DDR2 installed on my computer. I still hve a regular PCI slot (not express), can I add another graphics card to boost up my computer gaming? (Possible to add DDR3 and combine ddr2)???

Thanks, sorry for sloppy grammer and spelling.

Unfortunately, no, you can't. To "combine" two nvidia cards, you have to have a specific motherboard that supports it and they have to be the same card, and there is no PCI 9500gt. PCI video cards aren't really made anymore.

The best thing you could do is simply upgrade your video card to say an ati 4830 (~100$US) or whatever is in your budget range.

also, having gddr3 RAM is helpful, but ram isn't super necessary unless your gaming at really high resolutions (1900*1200). what affects performance more is the processors core (nvidia) or how many stream processors it has (ati)

but if you upgrade, please make sure that your power supply can handle it. I'm assuming your have a bought computer, as most 9500's used are in pre-built Dell's or HP's... if that is the case, then the PSU is a piece of junk and will not upgrade nicely. I also wouldn't recommend mixing your ram if this is also the case, due to the proprietary motherboard they use.

if you do have a crappy PSU, then a 4670 or 4650 could fit your needs but i dont know how they stack up against a 9500gt

you will see an over all performance boost if you add 1GB of ram, assuming you have an open slot. the improvement will not really be in better graphics, but faster load times and way less lag when you jump between programs and stuff.

if you pop open the case and tell us what the psu says, we can figure out the best gfx card you can support. the number we are looking for is the column(s) that say +12V with a number under it (i.e. 10A). that is the number of Amps the power supply provides @ 12V. if there is +12V1 and +12V2, we need to know that too.

in all likelyhood, Nukem is right and they built your pc with the bare minimum PSU for your system... its worth a look though

Well, I have 4G of RAM installed myself, and I have never seen a prebuilt HP or Dell with a 9500 GT. I can do somethings on my own. I hve taken into account that the power supply is really low (350), and microcenter is having a sale so I am aiming to get a 500watt for 20 or 600 for 35

do you like the performance boost w 4gb vs 1?
i think theres a diminishing return over 3, but whatev... u like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom