Power issues after installing wrong cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

k20invictus87

Beta member
So I decided a while ago that I wanted to start building and messing around with computers. I upgraded my video card in my HP Pavilion a752n to a ATI HD 4850 and put in 2 gigs of Crucial ram. This was really all I needed at the time since all I was playing was World of Warcraft, which is the opposite of a demanding game.

I recently decided I wanted to do all of my gaming on pc and wanted to build a good gaming computer. I ordered an Intel core 2 duo e8400 and 2 more gigs of Crucial ram. Now I'm waiting on my tax return to buy all of the other components, but I wanted to see how the new processor worked in my current computer for a preview.

I made the huge mistake of not researching the compatibility of my a752n's motherboard with my new e8400. I installed the new processor and fired her up and got nothing. The fan was spinning on the cpu and something sounded like it was running, but none of the power lights were on except for the very small one on the front which is under what looks like a battery symbol. That light was a steady orange. This morning I put the old cpu and fan back in and I got the same issue.

When it first fired up and I got nothing after I put the new cpu/fan in I figured it was just a compatibility issue. Now that this is happening with the old cpu/fan back in, I'm not sure of what to do. I don't know if it's that easy to fry a power supply or what. The power supply is only 430 watts. I have a general understanding of the components and what to do, but I'm still going to be making some stupid mistakes like this so any help on the matter would be much appreciated.

Antec Ea-430 430 Watts
Asus PTGD1-LA LGA 775
2 Gigs Crucial 184 Pin-DIMM
ATI HD 4850
Intel Pentium 4 3.8 GHz

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Try resetting your CMOS on your motherboard, the directions should be in the manual. I really don't thing what you did would kill the power supply, but this is an odd problem.

Thanks for the tip. I tried resetting by the three pin jumper. I turned the power off in the back, moved the piece holding the first two pins into a position holding the 2nd and 3rd pins, hit the power button once, waited a minute, then put it back in its originial location and turned the computer on. I got the same result as before. I'm trying to located the actual battery so I can take that out for five minutes. I'm assuming it's like a watch battery but I'm not sure where it's location is.

Thanks again for the help,

Chris

Yeah you need to take out that battery. If you try this and it still doesn't work, try this even though it sounds stupid. Unplug the power cable from your power supply, and let your computer sit there for an hour. Then plug it back and see what happens (this actually has worked for me a few times).

There is a feature - and I forget what it is referred to - that sometimes if the voltage isnt right to the CPU, it will trip the PSU so it doesnt fry it (the CPU). Saw that on a PSU tutorial website somewhere. So maybe the CPU is saying, dont fry me, man ! to the PSU. Just my 2 centivos.

I've tried leaving it unplugged from the machine for an hour, as well as trying to jump it with the three pins and the piece that holds two of them at a time. I also took the battery out for five minutes and I still get the same result. I was planning on piecing my system together anyway, so I think I'm gonna go ahead and order everything else I need since this isn't working out :( .

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom