Status
Not open for further replies.

Apokalipse

Golden Master
I just got a Razer Lycosa today:
lycosa_full.jpg

Lycosa_full_dark.jpg

Lycosa_close.jpg

I've been using a G15 v1 for a while now, but decided to try the Lycosa for a couple of reasons:
1. it's smaller, and can fit more easily on the desk
2. curiousity. I just wanted to try something different.

Anyway, the features of the Lycosa include:
* backlit keys (you can turn it on for only the WASD keys)
* 1000HZ polling rate
* slim design
* touch sensitive media buttons
* nice look (the full picture at the top doesn't do it justice)
* key macros
* USB extension - the keyboard comes with two USB plugs, one is for the integrated USB port. I'm guessing this is to avoid the latencies and/or bandwidth of two devices sharing one port.
* mic and headphones extension - the Lycosa's cable also has 2 x 3.5mm plugs for headphones and a microphone

My experience with the Lycosa so far:
The keys do have a nicer feel to the G15 keys.
Before using it, I was skeptical whether the 1000HZ polling rate would make a difference with a keyboard. It does. The Lycosa feels more 'instant' and responsive to key presses than the G15.

When I plugged my headphones into the headphone port on the Lycosa (a pair of Audio Technica ATH-AD900's, combined with an Asus Xonar D2X), I noticed some background noise that wasn't there before (even with nothing playing)
So I plugged the headphones directly into the sound card again, and it was gone.
So it seems the Lycosa's headphone extension picks up interference.
This might not be noticable with the basic headphones most people get, combined with onboard sound. But for audiophiles, it's a real turn-off.
But, you're not forced to use it anyway.

When using the Lycosa, I do miss having the information the G15's LCD provides, as well as the 'g' keys which you can assign macros to (though the Lycosa has its own macro functionality which I have yet to try)
However, it is a smaller and lighter keyboard, and you could potentially complement it with a Logitech G13 to get an LCD and 'g' keys to assign macros to, though this option isn't cheap.

Bottom line: So far I'm happy with how this keyboard works. It's small (compared to my G15), light, very responsive, looks nice, has backlit keys and media keys. It lacks a couple of things the G15 has, which some people wouldn't live without. But all in all, I would recommend this keyboard.

On the g15 how informative is the display? It's always something tha I have seen as pointless however you have stated otherwise.

That's a nice keyboard and I'd consider getting one but I'm awaiting the release of the new Logitech G19.

On the g15 how informative is the display? It's always something tha I have seen as pointless however you have stated otherwise.
depends what apps you use with it. You can run third party apps to display all sorts of stuff.

By default, it has an app to display the date and time, an app to display the RAM and CPU usage, an app to display the volume when you change it and what song is playing in itunes, winamp or WMP, a 'stopwatch' timer.

i love my G15 V2. looks to be about the same size as that one.
The G15 v2 is at least a couple of inches longer. not as long as the G15 v1 though.
Keys of the G15 v2 are as responsive as the G15 v1, though it can't handle as many simultaneous key presses (this probably won't concern most people, as people usually only press up to about 3 at a time)

I didn't like the v2 so much, due to the orange, and the un-adjustable LCD. But that's a subjective opinion.

I like the feel of the Lycosa's keys best. though I would like an LCD to go with it. Perhaps I'll get a G13 some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom