HELP my 12v is 22A. can it power a 9800gt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wizzardxexe

In Runtime
i just bought a 9800gt (the xfx), and i was reading on the system requirements and i noticed that it requires 26A. my other rails (is that what they are called?) like the 5w and 3.3w are in the 30As. will my powersupply be able to power a 9800gt? im not planning on ocing until i get a better PSU.

i read somewere that nvidia just says that their cards need 26A to be on the safe side. true or not true for the 9800gt.

oh and my powersupply came in the sigma case i got. (i know its probably dirty but i didnt have a budget for a clean powersupply.)

your GPU is powered by the +12v rails only... the other are for the rest of the machine. if you don't meet the requirements, then I would say to get a new PSU. but the only real way to find out is to try. it's not going to hurt your GPU. Your machine might beep real loud at you... if that happens, then you know. :)

Typically they do post a bit higher than you actually need to be on the safe side. Plus some people run a lot of stuff in their computers and they want to cover that. Do you have a bunch of hard drives and stuff? Shoot I ran a card that said the system needed 30a to run and I only had 26 or 28. I also overclocked everything in that system to the extremes.

i only have 1 hdd, 1 dvd drive, my 7750 kuma is oced to 3ghz and i have 2 fans one in the back and one on the side. oh and 2gb 800 ram

@nukem: yeah buying a new psu is the first thing ill do when i have some money.are there any decent PSUs for like 60 bux including shipping?

Might work might not :confused:

I had a cheap power supply that said it was 24 amps and when i bought my 9800gt and tried firing up a game or put any type of load on it it would shut down my whole system instantly :p

When I had my 9800 GTX+ I was using a 480w with a 18A rail and I had no problems at all, I however did upgrade the PS when I got my 285 GTX just to be on the safe side, I think you should be fine.

Dauntae

ok good, I was worried i put it in there and then XP would be a fickle hug and not load or something...

do you need to take the mobo out to put in a new ps because whenever i try to remove my mobo the screws just turn without releasing. i didnt tighten the brass standoffs that much, or the screws either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom