Where do you see the performance results of OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I have tried intel urn test on my computer stock and OC'd and it will never pass link pack testing or what ever it's called. How can my computer be unstable on stock? I think it stated that my memory could possibly be the reason as well. I have two different types of memory (4GB), they are in the right slots. Wonder if one of them is not stable? Guess I could take out a set and try it again.

It is possible that some settings are messing you up. What is your voltage set to? If its auto then that may be a problem, also make sure you memory is set to the right volts. My mobo wanted to run my ddr2 at 1.8v when it was rated for 2.1v and that caused me a lot of problems.

It is possible that some settings are messing you up. What is your voltage set to? If its auto then that may be a problem, also make sure you memory is set to the right volts. My mobo wanted to run my ddr2 at 1.8v when it was rated for 2.1v and that caused me a lot of problems.

Ok well I'm pretty sure one set of RAM calls for 2.2 or 2.1 as you stated and the other doesn't. So wasn't sure what to do there.

Yes it is on Auto.

I'm about to shut down and pull some RAM. My core volts according to cpuid is 1.264

that should be plenty for stock, so that isn't the issue, what temps are you getting when you run it? Also you really shouldn't mismatch memory, that's a general no no. in today's world of multi channel ram its always sold in matching packs so you really have no reason to do that. If you have one stick that is rated for 1.8v and another for 2.1 and the motherboard is pumping 1.8v then i could see problems arise.

Well I just pulled a set out and it worked!!! I was so happy! LOL, this test has failed over and over and I thought I might have just broke something! :(

Any way I never before was able to check temps when running it because it would literally not run. As soon as I selected: Yes for error detection, 1 for max stress and 5 for # of runs and hit ENTER, right after that just say link pack testing failed. It took like a 1/4 of a second for that to pop up. So now that I took that RAM out it worked just fine! I did up my volts on RAM but I have done that in the past with no luck. Not sure why I never didn't try removing two sticks of RAM.

Well I took out the SuperTalent and left the Corsair RAM in. Guess I will go over to Fry's tomorrow and get two more sticks of Corsair!

BTW my temps were in the mid 50's at full load. Passed 5/5!

Make sure you get identical sticks. The way dual channel memory works is, yo have 4 slots, that are color coded. You put identical sticks in the same color slots. It is also smart to just use the same model memory across the board. I don't see any reason not to.

I am going to pick up the exact same ones I got there before. Thanks for the help!

Ok so moving on here. I have a few OC questions.

When I am in voltage config in my bios there are many different things I can adjust. For the most part which ones do I need to adjust and not leave on auto? CPU, RAM...any thing else? There is a NB/SB Volt setting as well, FSB volts are auto right now, there is another called MCH GTL Ref Volts also on auto.

In my bios my volts displaying show:

cpu at 1.3
ram at 2.1
fsb at 1.16
nb/sb at 1.096

I just bumped it up to 3.24 GHz with Speedstep Enabled. I was told to leave this off when testing but on when just using PC for every day normal use. Is that right?

I would set your cpu to 1.5v, that is the max safe and just raise your fsb from there. Once you have a stable oc that you like, lower your cpu voltage to the lowest that it will pass intel burn test on. Keep your ram voltage the same, I try to underclock my ram when I am oc'ing that way it wont get in my way, and when I am done I bring the ram back up to stock settings. As for the fsb voltage you should only need to change it once or twice when you get higher speeds. Don't worry about the nb/sb voltages for now.

Back to square one again. Today I went out and bought the exact same memory that I have in there for the 2gb when I ran IBT and past. Well I put it in there so I have 4GB and IBT fails again. It's so odd. As soon as I hit the 5 key to set the number of test it fails with in a fraction of a second.

So does any one know why this test would fail when I am putting in the 2nd set of RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom