USB device not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a link to the mobo you have pictured. Assuming it's the same one and you have XP; under drivers, the second up "USB" 12/29/2003" and you might want to look at updating your bios as well... but I don't see a chipset driver listed, so check your manual for a website that you can go to find drivers. this may not be the right one.

ASRock Motherboard - Product - GE PRO-M2 - Download

Thanks Nukem, I looked at the link I see the second one from the bottom, but it says those are for OS win 98 and Me. Is that for me?? I have XP..

your right..I looked at the wrong one... while typing. Sorry...

consult your mobo manual for the website. but I would suggest updating the bios first, then go from there.looks like the latest is 2.80

I have an external hard drive, doesn't need drivers for the OS that I have (XP). Works great. The problem is I have to use the USB ports on the back of the computer, so I have to get on allo fours, and make it happen. There are two USB ports on the front of the computer that i would love to utilize. When I plug the Drive in, it's powered normally. The light comes on and everything. Then i get the pop up window saying it's unrecognized or may be working improperly. Again, the USB ports in the back of the computer work fine with the drive.

I google it and ran into different senerio's, like dust, or totally disconnect power to the computer (unplug power supply). None of it works. Does anyone know what the problem is???

Thanks

My experence has found that the front panel USB normally does not have enough power to power up external hard drive. However this does every from case / motherboard and hard drive manufacturer. Plus it also depend on the quality of the USB cable. Like I got my little 15cm USB cable with I guard with my life as it's allows me to connect my hard drive to the front panel where i have seem others fail.

I have seen some double USB adpators for external hard drives. There is 2 USB-AM connections where the 2nd one is there to drawn more power from the PC.

Alright, I'm updated to 2.8 (bios) now, nothing working. As suspected. I took it all apart and looked at the USB interface, nothing blocking it. Could be a bad interface. I'll look at the connection on the mother board, haven't done that yet...

Does anyone know How I can look up which chip set I am on, on the computer???

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom