CPU Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I'm currently having to run my Q9550 @ 1.4Volts and my ram at +0.2v in DDR2 overvoltage control for me to be stable @ 3.7Ghz, my temps are ok, in cpu demanding games like GTA4 they're 48 to 52celcius, but i don't want to be running at voltages that high if it means my CPU is gonna drop dead 6 months down the line..

So how long will it last at them volts ?

If your absolutely positive, i'll keep it at that then. It means i can't resell my CPU when i upgrade in a year or so, but meh. I was going to drop it to 1.3v and run at 3.0ghz, but if it really will last several years.. then i may aswell.

If your absolutely positive, i'll keep it at that then. It means i can't resell my CPU when i upgrade in a year or so, but meh. I was going to drop it to 1.3v and run at 3.0ghz, but if it really will last several years.. then i may aswell.

Yeah usually volts are safe on those CPU's till 1.5v and higher. 1.4v should be safe and not deteriorate the life much at all.

Cool.

Lol..I need to run Prime95 for longer, im at an hour but CPU temps are 65celcius now.. i need to stop it really. I suppose i shouldn't really worry they'll never get anywhere near that in any other circumstance than prime95/orthos.

edit:

synergy, if the max is 1.45volts does that mean 1.4v is to close for comfort ?

synergy, if the max is 1.45volts does that mean 1.4v is to close for comfort ?

It depends on your temps. 65*C on full load like that isn't terribly bad, so I think you're fine. It's really too close for YOUR comfort. If you aren't comfortable with those temps then pull back a little.

Really? Wow, I just remember doing a Q6600 at 1.5v and being fine. I guess of the Q9450 I messed with I didn't go above about 1.38v but I assumed it had a higher range than that.
Yea, the max for Q6*** chips is 1.55v so your 1.5 was fine.

I was a little surprised by the lack of voltage headroom on these chips too, but when you consider you can get around 3.6Ghz on stock voltage (Q9650) it starts to make sense.

haha if i could get 3.4ghz stable on stock voltage that'd be great haha.

Then again i aint tried since i removed that crap peice of ram..

What's stock? 2.8 or something? You should be able to get somewhere around there on stock voltage. It does really depend on your other hardware though, so it might not happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom