Noob at OCing a Q8200

Status
Not open for further replies.

EliteScouter

Baseband Member
Allright so I recently got a Q8200 CPU with ASUS P5Q Pro Motherboard and tonight I decided to try and overclock it a little bit.

I read some things on how to OC so I decided to go into my bios and mess with the settings!! Ohh yeah a lot of fun!

Anyways I set my FSB to 433 (Orig 333) on the overclock setting and my multiplier is 7 ohh yeah I also changed the CPU voltage to 1.3. Right now I am running at CPU Clock 3031.1 MHz (original: 2333 MHz, overclock: 30%) and running a torture test with prime95 and so far my temp is at 36 with full load and it's not going up. Does this mean my OC is safe? Can I OC it anymore? Should I even mess with this as a newb?

Anyways my Everest info.

Code:
CPU Properties:
      CPU Type                                          QuadCore Intel Wolfdale
      CPU Alias                                         Wolfdale / Penryn / Yorkfield / Harpertown
      Engineering Sample                                No
      CPUID CPU Name                                    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz
      CPUID Revision                                    00010677h

CPU Speed:
      CPU Clock                                         3031.1 MHz  (original: 2333 MHz, overclock: 30%)
      CPU Multiplier                                    7.0x
      CPU FSB                                           433.0 MHz  (original: 333 MHz, overclock: 30%)

CPU Cache:
      L1 Code Cache                                     32 KB per core
      L1 Data Cache                                     32 KB per core
      L2 Cache                                          2x 2 MB  (On-Die, ASC, Full-Speed)

Motherboard Properties:
      Motherboard ID                                    64-1306-000001-00101111-082008-Eaglelake$A1012001_BIOS DATE: 08/20/08 13:38:55 VER: 08.00.14
      Motherboard Name                                  Unknown

BIOS Properties:
      System BIOS Date                                  08/20/08
      Video BIOS Date                                   02/21/08
      DMI BIOS Version                                  1306

Code:
Sensor Properties:
      Sensor Type                                       Winbond W83627DHG  (ISA 290h)
      GPU Sensor Type                                   Driver  (NV-DRV)
      Chassis Intrusion Detected                        No

Temperatures:
      Motherboard                                       41 °C  (106 °F)
      CPU                                               34 °C  (93 °F)
      Aux                                               15 °C  (59 °F)
      GPU                                               46 °C  (115 °F)
      Seagate ST3500320AS                               29 °C  (84 °F)
      Maxtor 6L300R0                                    33 °C  (91 °F)
      Maxtor 6Y080L0                                    29 °C  (84 °F)
      Seagate ST3320620AS                               34 °C  (93 °F)

Cooling Fans:
      CPU                                               1854 RPM
      System                                            1318 RPM
      Chassis                                           2637 RPM

Voltage Values:
      CPU Core                                          1.29 V
      Aux                                               3.49 V
      +3.3 V                                            3.26 V
      +5 V                                              5.43 V
      +12 V                                             12.65 V
      +5 V Standby                                      5.12 V

cpuzdw5.png

coretempkq2.png

primepy8.png

Thank You

that's a good job man.

If you'll notice although everest is giving you 34 C notice your core temps in Core Temp are all around 60 C on the 4 cores, so you have a little more headroom,

all-in-all a good OC though

very nice

Good choice, that thing does a nice job of sucking the heat from those quad cores, but like I said pay attention the core temps, the probe the CPU temp reading out 34 C by but a mobo rpobe and there much cooler,

60 C at full laod is pretty good though, You could probably pust that up to 3.3GHz and still be safe.

Yeah my prime95 just failed, apparently my memory failed soo I have to look into that. I didn't touch the memory settings.

Well you were putting too much stress on the FSB:RAm ratio, just lower that some and your memory won't be working so hard.

What happens is your Ram automaticcaly adjusts itself to that overclock and therefore overclcok's itself, with that high FSB you'll need to lower the ratio so that your ram is clocking tiself so high,

I'm sure someone will clearly what I'm attempting to say

4 gb of DDR2 PC8500 1066MHz 5-5-5-15 i belive.

Here are my current OC Bios settings

BTW If you got better settings for me that would work much better please post it! Because maybe i'm doing something wrong since this is my 1st OC.
I used to have the voltage at 1.3 but then changed it back to Auto.

1001049lk3.jpg

1001050pi3.jpg

I would manually set the voltage like you did before, auto is usually to high or to low. The max voltage Intel recommends for your cpu is 1.365v. While you can go over that I wouldn't run it higher than that for extended periods of time.

Assuming your temps are still good you should be to oc farther since you still have some voltage headroom and your ram won't be holding you back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom