USB device not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.

hesson81

Baseband Member
I have an external hard drive, doesn't need drivers for the OS that I have (XP). Works great. The problem is I have to use the USB ports on the back of the computer, so I have to get on allo fours, and make it happen. There are two USB ports on the front of the computer that i would love to utilize. When I plug the Drive in, it's powered normally. The light comes on and everything. Then i get the pop up window saying it's unrecognized or may be working improperly. Again, the USB ports in the back of the computer work fine with the drive.

I google it and ran into different senerio's, like dust, or totally disconnect power to the computer (unplug power supply). None of it works. Does anyone know what the problem is???

Thanks

does it do the same thing for a thumb drive? I have seen this before, but it's a case of 2 USB connects being plugged into only one mobo slot.
Do you also have a USB cable with 2 USB connects on it? try pluggin in both of them into the front, then see what happens.

Updated chipset drivers? Maybe the cable and/or connectors on the front USB are bad (remember, these aren't part of the motherboard, they just connect on with a cable onto the USB headers on the board).

It has the response to any usb device that I have. Even a head set. It does the same thing..

I don't have that USB with two USB Cables.

Shall I try opening the computer and seeing what it looks like in there??

what model/make is your computer? As CarnageX stated, try going to the company website and getting and update of the chipset driver, that might do the trick

Alright I have the computer open. The only thing I can see that's coming from the USB ports (front of computer), is a bunch of green black orange yellow and white wires going into pins located on the mother board. Now I"m not a geneius, but that's only for Power..... right. Should there be something else for data or something?? I can't expose the Back side of the USB ports so I can't see what else is cnnected.

Am i on to something???

I have pictures, but I don't know how to post. The mother board is a Ge pro-M2..

mb2.jpg

So if your looking at that image it's the very lower left had corner, that's where those wires are going, but I don't think there's anything else going to the USB ports.... can those pins trasnfer data as well??

yes, and I think Carnage is right... you'll probalby have to update your chipset driver. it's still seeing your USB as 1.1, not 2.0.

I just found the user manual for that mother board. Those pins are the system panel connector.. Some one have the quick and dirty what that does??

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom