Upgrade from Home to Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magma

Baseband Member
Ok so I bought a windows XP PRO Disk from school (using my student card only cost me 10$) Im wondering now.

Will is wipe all my software, games etc. Or just replace the system files? Also. Will I have to activate Windows again?

Also I have a 120GB HDD and wasnt thinking when I got the comp... I should have partitioned it to 100gb and a 20gb

20 for windows the rest for programs and games etc etc. Any free tools which I could use to change that without harming my files?

Upgrading won't erase your data. You should always backup your data before you do anything major to a machine, but you shouldn't run into any problems.

As for partitioning your drive, if all you want to do is seperate things out, don't waste your time. Leave it all as one drive and just do some organizing. You've already got a Program Files folder that sets up with Windows, and if you want a seperate spot for loading all yer games, just create a folder in yer C: drive called "Games" and load yer games in there. Creating a partition, especially if you've already got data on the drive, has the potential of creating a mess and will also become a hassle for you later on as that 20gig partition gets full. Gone are the days where you need multiple partitions for data. Unless yer going to install another OS on the drive, you shouldn't create more than one partition, IMOP.

ShoobieRat said:
Upgrading won't erase your data. You should always backup your data before you do anything major to a machine, but you shouldn't run into any problems.

As for partitioning your drive, if all you want to do is seperate things out, don't waste your time. Leave it all as one drive and just do some organizing. You've already got a Program Files folder that sets up with Windows, and if you want a seperate spot for loading all yer games, just create a folder in yer C: drive called "Games" and load yer games in there. Creating a partition, especially if you've already got data on the drive, has the potential of creating a mess and will also become a hassle for you later on as that 20gig partition gets full. Gone are the days where you need multiple partitions for data. Unless yer going to install another OS on the drive, you shouldn't create more than one partition, IMOP.

don't agree...I think u should create a seperate partition for files like MP3's, docs etc..this way u don't need to copy them somewhere else when u format ur drive

Assuming you bought your HD from a store, did it come with any software on a disk? If it did there should be a program you run directly from the disk that will allow you to partition the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom