Purchase advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You need to have an even number of sticks in order to run dual channel.

I also agree with meat helmet. You're not going to see a significant performance increase by adding another 4GB of RAM, and a third GTX 285. COD4 isn't demanding. Even a single GTX 285 can run COD4 smoothly. Unless maybe you're playing on a 2560x1600 resolution.

You need to have an even number of sticks in order to run dual channel.

I also agree with meat helmet. You're not going to see a significant performance increase by adding another 4GB of RAM, and a third GTX 285. COD4 isn't demanding. Even a single GTX 285 can run COD4 smoothly. Unless maybe you're playing on a 2560x1600 resolution.

Hahaha, well, I've got $600 and I'm itching to spend it.
icon10.gif
lol

I don't think adding another GTX285 will make a big difference, won't that Q9550 be holding you back? You should use the 600 to make the jump to i7, it'll be a much bigger jump then adding another GTX285 or QX9770

I don't think adding another GTX285 will make a big difference, won't that Q9550 be holding you back? You should use the 600 to make the jump to i7, it'll be a much bigger jump then adding another GTX285 or QX9770

Well, I'd love to upgrade but then I'd have to swap out my chipset and since my pc is still under warranty, the MFG wouldn't offer any support if I were to have issues with the Core i7 upgrade unless I was to purchase the hardware from them and it's outrageously expensive to go that route. I could upgrade via Newegg for as little as $800 but to get the parts from my pc MFG, I'm looking at $569 for the mobo and $1400 for the Nehalem 940.
icon9.gif

That's why in this forum, it's always recommended to build your own. So you have more control of what you can buy, and what goes in your computer.

a couple of things:
you wont "fry" anything by overclocking your RAM. just dont overvolt it. worse case is you get a BSOD or lockup, or it just wont boot.
a 3rd 285 is COMPLETELY pointless unless you are running a 2560 resolution monitor.
even if you are running that high of a resolution, your cpu will bog them down unless you substantially overclock it, even then i dont know for sure that its not hampering the performance of even 2 gtx285s...let alone 3.
the only thing i could see you making any improvement in would be the 8gb of RAM vs 4gb...and unless you are running some heavy duty memory apps, you are going to notice exactly zero difference between 4gb and 8gb.
if you have 600 dollars and are itching to spend it, look around for a great deal on a 2560 res monitor to take advantage of the power you already have.

That's why in this forum, it's always recommended to build your own. So you have more control of what you can buy, and what goes in your computer.

Well, I got a decent deal on this rig so thus, the reason for purchasing instead of building my own. If I had it to do over, would I build my own? Without a doubt. I'd love to have the Core i7. But, my current hardware and a upgrade or two will carry me for awhile.

...if you have 600 dollars and are itching to spend it, look around for a great deal on a 2560 res monitor to take advantage of the power you already have.

I presently own a 24" HP w2408h and I've looked at some 30" displays but, it's just too much for me. Looking on Newegg and TigerDirect, $1000 for a 30" is more than I'm willing to pay for an LCD when mine works flawlessly. I may put some money back for the next few months and get one.

or you could go water cooling.

I've thought about that but I wouldn't have the first clue about rigging one up. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom