500GB HDD shows as 231GB, please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fakebird

Baseband Member
Well i had been having some malware issues with my PC so i decided to reformat. I booted XP pro and the format worked, but the install failed due to missing disc files. So i tried to boot some flavors of linux, ubuntu and bt3 both would not install either. I found a GateWay xp home edition boot disc for one of the stock PCs. this was the only boot disc that worked, so after that formated and installed there were problems.

Before the first format and the OS install my C drive would show as 460 GB or so, but now it shows as 231GB tottal. Im using a Maxtor 7h500f0.

Other issues came about as well, no audio drivers, no video card drivers, and whats stoping me from geting those? no ethernet, LAN connection wont show up.

If any one knows what might be causing my PC to think my HDD is 231GB or if it did get put down to a tottal of 231, how i could fix this or any of the other issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for all the help this forum has brought,

-Fakebird

First off you need to get your drivers for you motherboard and lan so you can get online. what computer model do you have?

Once you have your drivers installed you can go update windows. I would assume you are on xp sp1 or less and that is what is causing your issue. Once you update to sp2 or sp3 you will see the full size of your drive which would be a bit below 500gb.

Thats what i was thinking too, but i dont know what type of motherboard i have. its not a stock PC, i bought all the parts separately. I know that the mobo is Intel, if theres a place on the mobo that would indicate a model number or something of the sort i could get that. Also i can open hardware manager( if it would be listed there). Any ideas?

cpu-z will tell us all we need to know.

CPUID

download it and put it on a usb stick or whatever and put it on your computer and run it. That will tell us what mb model you have.

Well i broke my only flash drive last night, what horrible timing. Ill try cds/floppys and see what i can do. Thank you so much for the help.

alright ill try a CD

manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Model: DG965WH (box1) AAD41692-304 (box2)

If you need the chip set or the rest of the info just let me know.

thank you so much! i will update those today. Youve been a HUUGE help, i would have probably thrown my HDD against a wall by this point if it wasnt for you and this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom