Loving my Q9550 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
you're crazy to run 1.4V on a stock heatsink. congrats on the new one

I have done it, and it isn't some huge deal...without putting the fsb really high temps should not big too great. Also it is just to see that it is stable at that...not going to keep it at that. But now he has a new heatsink anyway :D

Well, got my OCZ vendetta installed.. idle temps are the same..

3degrees less on 100percent load, and the cooler is a load louder too, can't say i'm impressed considering the favourable reviews it received.

edit:

Okay it's not cooler at all, it's the exact friggin same

edit2:

it's 1degrees c hotter.

heh, just realised, it's at full fan speed too !

what thermal paste are you using? Try remounting the heatsink...you should see quite a large decrease in temps.

just the original vendetta, was worried about space and couldn't find the vendetta 2.

So i just spent 3 hours getting it to work, i ripped it off, tried it at 4 different orientations, cleaned the CPU twice with a lint free cloth and rubbing alcohol, spent about an hour trying to get each of the 4clips to clip down properly, 3 did, the 4th is pretty much down properly but it pops out easier than the others.

and then..

result ! 100percent fan, Prime95 running the FFT test (max power, max temp) core 0 is 44c, core 1 is 43c, core 2 is 44c, core 3 is 44c, so a 11degrees celsius drop under load.

Oddly, cpu 2 and 3 allways says 42c untill after about 5mins of prime 95 when they rise above 42c ? so they are working, but they seem to be constant 42c whilst idle, whereas core 0 is 27c (was 36 with stock) and core 1 is 33c.

Meh. happy now :D but my god my fingers are all blistered up from them stupid clip in things.

Also, while trying to get the CPU clips in i removed one stick of ram for easier access, and then i notice this one stick is different to the other 3 peices of ram and a cheeper exilir brand..hmm, maybe i should try OC now theres just 3gb of Kingston ram in, maybe that cheepo peice was causing problems.

edit:

Using zalman thermal grease, CPU at 1.312volts, temps 49,49,47,51 under 100percent load on Prime95 blend test. Its up to 3.27Ghz now (was 3.0ghz stable before..)
It seems like that stick of ram was the problem. I tried 3.4ghz but it crashed at logon, i might try again a bit later at 1.4v, but i suspect im coming to the limits of my cheep kingston ram ;)

How long should i run Prime95 for ? i ran orthos before for 15mins to test and OC before and i was perfectly stable after it (gamed the rest of the night), people say like 8 hours though o_O seems ludicrous.

Ahh the original vendetta is nowhere near as good, its only 92mm vs 120mm.

Take that third stick out, so you can run in dual channel unganged and you should get a nice stable oc.

hehe, i'm sure it's not as good. But it's WAY better than stock, and im pretty sure the 120mm fan wouldn't fit. Anyway, 52c after 100percent load on four cores for 25mins @1.3v aint that bad..

Any idea what is the max safe voltage to go up to is ?

If i took that 3rd stick out my performance would be worse than it's worth for the extra oc :p

yeah its better than stock but you have an armor suit, of course it would have fit.

I would not go past about 1.4v on air.

And if you can get pretty high at 1.375, keep it there.

I run my chip at 1.375 because temps are lower and im still at 3.6ghz which is plenty fast.

I only go higher if i want 3.8-3.9ghz runs.

If i took that 3rd stick out my performance would be worse than it's worth for the extra oc :p

not really, and you would be running in dual channel vs single channel.

yeah its better than stock but you have an armor suit, of course it would have fit.

I would not go past about 1.4v on air.

And if you can get pretty high at 1.375, keep it there.

I run my chip at 1.375 because temps are lower and im still at 3.6ghz which is plenty fast.

I only go higher if i want 3.8-3.9ghz runs.

not really, and you would be running in dual channel vs single channel.

Thanks. Except right now im using 95percent of that 3GB ram.. i already need to put that other stick in. Comany of Heroes is teh suck with 2gb of ram aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom