new & better video card = less fps and longer load time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxchaz

In Runtime
So I just isntalled my newly received 8800gt. i used to use 7900gs.
now i load up my usual game and for some odd reason i seem to load slower. at first this happened and i thought maybe the comptuer was getting used to it...

but i load up several times and see that it has gotten slower. nothing in my computer changed besides a new mouse and new 8800gt.

any tips ?

ps; then i thought maybe i have to upgrade my ram and processor to something that is as good as my 8800gt. but then again i dont think thats right

Hello,

Did you remove the old drivers from the 7900? If not then that could be why. It is trying to figure out which drivers are the priority and it is taking longer cause it is loading both.

Use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all nVidia drivers and reinstall the latest ones for you new card.

Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

Cheers,
Mak

i uninstalled nvidia drivers via control panel as well as driver clean pro. (i dont think driver clean pro actually deletes my drivers)

but i try it again and there really doesn't seem to be any change.

ok so i got an RMA on this thing and still does the exact same thing. i am thinking either i need more watts on my power supply or i should/might as well upgrade my ram. the temperature is relatively same as my old card too (according to everest).

Firstly, I have a problem with my desktop with problems in game where maps would load real slow and sprites would slow the loading process as well.
http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/new-better-video-card-less-fps-longer-load-time-179956/
If you look at my build (sig), I would say I have, or had, a pretty good build, moving from a 7900GS to a 8800 GT. I figured by doing that, I would have better performance. However, that was totally wrong. Now, obviously by numbers and rankings, the 8800GT would obviously win. So I RMA'd my 8800GT, thinking it was defective. I installed the 8800GT replacement, and tested the performance, but to no avail. Same exact problem. Now I'm beginning to think it's the motherboard or any other associated hardware.

However, let's say the motherboard or CPU or whatever is perfectly fine.

Let's say I will end up buying a brand new motherboard and CPU, install it and whatever, use my current 8800GT to put it in this new motherboard, and the performance is still bad. Will the motherboard have had lost its "virginity," making it pointless to change any other hardware parts (because the motherboard is now messed up because it was installed already) ?

Re: does hardware lose virginity, per se?

that whole post was very strange :p

but the answer is simply no

have you tried updating to the newest drivers, and newest direct x version?

o_O

yes i used driver cleaner pro and updated to full direct x and all that.

do you think by changing motherboards, i might possibly get rid of this problem? (i don't mind installing a new copy)

Can you post screenshots of GPU-Z? There are several things that can cause this... Is your BIOS setup correctly? It could possibly be a messed up windows installation. If you have a spare hard drive or even spare space on your current, make a new partition, and install a second Windows. Install all drivers needed for the system, and then run a game. Don't go replacing perfectly good parts just because you're impatient. (Not sayin' you are, just saying we should be able to figure this out, without having you spend a whole lot of money)

heres the gpu-z

fyi i tried doing a repair install and that didn't work.

but i guess i'll try installing a second windows or whatever.

Attachments

• New Bitmap Image.jpg
    New Bitmap Image.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 70
nothing in my computer changed besides a new mouse and new 8800gt.
Sorry to pull up the obvious...

What mouse? Did it require specific drivers? Did your old mouse require specific drivers? I ask because either of these could be causing part of the problem. If your computer is still trying to use the old mouse, it will have a conflict of resources going on.

Check your Device Manager and see if there are any problems showing up there.

nope, the device manager only states only one device, the g5 laser mouse.

there is, hwoever, 2 keyboard devices. i use a g15 keyboard and that needed a driver.
additionally, there is an unknown device.

in any case, i plan on creating a new windows on my hard drive..

Format and new installation? That ought to fix the problem if it is software, for sure. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom