Laptop Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

68charger

Beta member
Hey everyone, I am in some need for advice. I found this website and looks like a good community so hopefully I can get some help here (yup first post). So here is what I have going on:

Last night I playing some TF2 the game freezes up and I see some purple lines (the game image and sound still there, just no movement). I turn off the computer manually (holding shutdown button) after cntrl alt del not getting any response. I restart the computer and what I get is a gray background with dark grey stripes going horizontal accross the screen.

My computer makes a "explosion" sound when it starts up (its ASUS G - 1 Series laptop, it shows the logo and "explodes" giving the sound) and it still makes this sound, then computer appears to still run properly because the sounds from the HD make familiar sounds and the RAM light is showing loading.

Each time I start the computer, its the same thing. Also, ever since this happened and I turn on the computer, every so often a high pitch noise is made (not too loud though) and I located it by ear to be around the graphics card. So I am pretty sure this is the problem.

I tried attaching a monitor to the back and to better describe it I took some pics for you guys to look at.

Broken Laptop pictures by Darkcharger - Photobucket

Thanks for any help/advice in advance for any info.

Looks like your graphics card bit the dust. which sucks, cause it's kinda on the expensive side to replace a GPU in a laptop. Can you try to hook up an external monitor and see if that works for you?

Yea, take a look at the pics from the link. All of the pics except the striped gray (nothingness) pics are from an external monitor.

yep, then it's your graphics card in the laptop itself... sorry, but it's dead. is it still under warranty? (sorry, mis-read your post about the monitor)

I have to check the warranty, but to tell you the truth I think its a conspiracy :p I think its been exactly 2 years since I turned on the computer today (this happened last night around 11:30pm). I have a feeling if there was a warranty that it did not last this long.

Thanks for the clarification, I had the same feeling about the video card, just needed expert advice.

NO worries... glad to help. I just wish it wasn't the GPU... thee most pain in the butt thing to replace in a laptop. (owning 3 myself) :)

Yea me neither. I have heard some people say its soldered on, but I have also heard a few say its not (just from reading forums online). Is there a way to check if it is?

Also, since the GPU is fried, would it be safe to un-solder the GPU to take replace it myself rather than sending it to the manufacture?

Well, not sure of that model, but I know 2 of mine are just a simple "pull out and replace" type of PCI slot. If you google you model and find out it's dedicated graphics, you might be able to buy a new card and swap them out.

I dont know if this helps but here is some specs I found:

Specs for ASUS G1 AK008M:

* Processor: ASUS G1 Intel® Core™2 Duo T7200 (2.0GHz)
* Screen: 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) ColorShine
* RAM: 2048M DDR2 667
* Hard Disk: 160GB HD 5400 RPM
* Graphics: NVIDIA GeForceGo 7700 GPU 512 MB

I noticed its hard to find out info about the card since it looks like an ASUS model only Nvidia card.

talk to Asus and see what they say first before you commit to something they may not replace afterward... who knows, it may be cheaper, but if not then at least you'll know they will or will not replace it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom