Very strange Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gto78

Beta member
My older Maxtor diamond max 160GB drive is acting up, again. I use this drive as a storage drive, windows is NOT installed on it. The problem I have is that if I create folders, add my pictures to it, and then reboot the computer, the folders are gone and the drive is identical to the way it was before.....

To make it even worse, if I delete any folders from the drive, the will reappear after rebooting.

Then to really throw a curveball, here's what just happened: I ran Maxblast to format and setup the drive in hopes of "fixing" it. I did a complete format of the drive, which included deleting the partition, creating a new partition, formatting etc. After I restarted windows.... you guessed it, all the old files were exactly the way they were before formatting it. WTF!!!!!! How can I do a complete format and STILL have the drive looking identical? No matter what I do to this drive, it always returns to it's current state after rebooting.

I've done multiple virus scans, bot checks, scan disk, defrags, seatool diagnostic checks, all kinds of stuff for months now. I'm at my wits end, it's like the movie ground hog day!!! GOD!

I'm not running any third party back up software, and system restore is turned off on this drive.

Possibly related to this problem, the computer takes about 10 minutes to shut down any time I tell it to "shut down". If I put it on "standby" it will randomly turn itself on. To prevent the computer from turning itself on, I will manually turn "off" the switch located on the back of the computer's power supply- however when I turn the switch back on, I have to wait almost 15 minutes for the computer to start powering back up! It's like it has to warm up before allowing me to turn it on again. I've replaced the battery in the MB, and reflashed the MB bios. My guess is the power supply is bad, probably not related to my hard drive issue.

Why on earth was a hardware issue posted in the windows area? Moved to other hardware.

Because I THOUGHT it might be a windows issue? A registry issue? Virus issue? I have no clue, but the drive (hardware) physically works fine in all aspects and all drive tests done to it, which left me to believe it was a "software" issue. Stupid me I guess.

I just tried a few more things, like deleting everything on the hard drive. Then running windows format, also tried deleting the partition in windows disk manager. Nothing works, it shows everything being deleted, then after a minute it all comes back. It's like maybe the MBR is got some kind of virus?

Again, the "seatools" program from Maxtor/Seagate passes everything, no drive problems found during all the tests.

I thought there was a way to manually delete the drive overlay from the MBR. Any ideas?

It can be related to the hard drive as if something isn't getting enough power it may not work correctly. Windows thinks it is gone, the drive says it has erased the data but it is still there. Have you tried to run a chkdsk /r on the drive?

Yes, I tried chkdsk /r and it didnt find any problems or bad sectors etc.

I installed a new power supply today which completely solved my shut down problem, and start up problem. Now I can shut down like normal which now takes a few seconds instead of 15 minutes. Also no more random starting up when I'm in the other room. And finally when I push the power button, or the space bar, the computer turns on like it's supposed to instead of being completely lifeless for 10-15 minutes before posting.

However, the problem still exists with the hard drive being permanantly "imprinted" with the files that are on it. I tried a program that erases the hard drive by writing 0000's on it, and when it said it was all done, all my files were still completely intact!!!!!! WTF?

So does anyone have a good idea if this is a hardware problem or a software problem? Any guesses? I'll try anything. I already replaced the drive with a Seagate 500 GB I got on clearance at Circuit City. This means I can do whatever I want to the old broken drive, I don't care what happens to it now, the next step is throwing it away.

Hard drive issue. The Read/Write head isnt functioning correctly. If you used a program to Zero out the drive and the data was still there then there is a problem with the hard drive.

Replace it. sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom