Core i7 Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: AMD Gaming Rig

I have previously had Intel and loved their performance but I want to try out AMD as seeing that I have never experienced them.

Why would you want to go from the best, to the second best? That's like selling your Ferrari so you can drive a Pinto.

Core i7 Nehalem 920 cpu - $289
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

GIGABYTE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - $199.99 ($184.99 after $15.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Corsair DDR3-1333 (PC3-10666) (3x2GB) - $144
Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

XFX GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB/448-bit GDDR3 - $274.99 ($244.99 after $30.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Newegg.com - XFX GX260NADBF GeForce GTX 260 Black Edition Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

CORSAIR 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply ($79.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Antec 900 case - $110
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Grand Total: $1,147 shipped - - Before Rebates

Grand Total: $1,082 shipped - - After Rebates

Why would you want to go from the best, to the second best? That's like selling your Ferrari so you can drive a Pinto.

Lol not quite. AMD is now a good choice. They are cheap and perform pretty well. Its maybe like going from a Ferrari to a Lotus Elise. The lotus is cheap but still performs great but the ferrari will outperform it for a higher price.

I don't know much about AMD so I can't advise you on that part but I have to say I like your choice of PSU and GPU.

The Phenom II 940 is the most powerful AMD chip out there, as of this moment.

So trust me, he will get his moneys worth.

Never been a fan boy i ran both AMD and Intel.
The Phenom 2 did get spanked by the core i7 this round according to all the reviews / benchmarks i have read, and with the price becomming very reasonable for a core i7 920. hence my choice.
But they both make quality components and if you like AMD better your still getting a good product.
I did check the furture of the socket LGA1366 and from what I have read

Intel 32nm Westmere Processor Roadmap - Integrated Graphics CPU - PCSTATS.com

Westmere will be using it.

its going to be around a long while.

Inked, the build looks good man. You are missing a hdd and optical though. Unless you're using ones from a previous pc.

look at it this way, the 920 rig costs like what? 20% more? depending on what you are doing, you may or may not see a 20% increase in performance. i dont think there are too many things that a 920 is a solid 20% faster at, but i could be wrong. if it boils down to cash, get the PII.

But for playing games like Fallout 3, WoW, and source games, is it worth the extra 200 - 300 bucks?

Not really, because those games are not that demanding. The X4 940 should easily handle those games. And you're getting a GTX 260 as well, which is more than enough for playing those games.

the whole cpu i7 920 is 280 or so now. hows it 200-300 more, its like 50 bucks? it runs everything believe me.
I got it also because i was looking down the road at what i want as far as upgrade.
but as i said the AMD path looks fine also.
was just my peronal choice.
10%-20% faster i don't think thats much more expense considering the Westmere is going in the same socket.
Again I don't beleive in the AMD or INTEL bs.. lol i have a Athlon 64 running right next to this so its still a solid choice.
Maybe i am still angry about the whole socket 754 thing lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom