Overclocking a HD 4850

Status
Not open for further replies.

35g700

rustle rustle
After I RMA'd my 4850 I decided to try to see if it could overclock better then my old card (with other card I would get artifacts when it got more then 65C) so I got the core up to 700 (maz CCC lets me get up to) and the memory up to 1100. I used ATI tool's scan for artifacts, I got no artifacts but the temp got up to 75C. I know the 4850's are rated for high temps but how hot should I let it get?

This is the card I got: Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245L Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Those temps are fine. But if you are concerned just grab yourself an accelero s1.

You could try a bios softmod to up the volts a little bit for better overclocking results. I upped the voltage on my card and got 760 core 1130 mem stable so far.

you guys are getting far with the core! (jealousy here)

mine @ stock only gets to 680 stable

but my card seems to make up for it with higher mem speed 1150 :p

So how hot should I let it get?

I don't know anything about the BIOS soft mods so could I get a little info on that? I'm out of warranty because I RMA'd so I don't have to worry about voiding a warranty anymore.

I tried the memory at 1105 and scanned for artifacts with ATITool and got errors... so would upping the voltage with a soft mod allow me to get the memory faster?

EDIT: Is there anyway I can get the core up higher? 700 is limit in CCC, would rivatuner let me get it higer or would that mess with CCC?

it sure is hot

but hey, I live in Minnesota, currently 1C outside, the house has got to be heated one way or another :p

to OP
yes soft mod would let you OC higher

the softmod only increases the volts for the core, so dont expect higher mem speeds from that. But just google 4850 softmod and im sure you will find some good info :)

So I did a overclock using RivaTuner because CCC would not let me go past 700 core. I got the core up to 765MHz and the memory up to 1125 stable without changing the voltage.

I think I found a way to increase the voltage but I need to find a way to be able to measure the voltage after I increase it. Is there a program that can do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom