Beta member
ABIT KV8-MAX3 SCK754
AMD ATHLON 64 3000+
128MB MSI ATI RADEON RX9800 PRO
512MB CORSAIR VALUE SELECT PC3200 400 DDR
160GB MAXTOR 7200RPM SATA HDD
SONY DWD18A 8X DUAL LAYER
Sonata UK 380W PSU ATX

Wanted something for Uni, that I will *mostly* be typing on, but I'd like to be able to play some games in my free time. Prefrebly like it to be good enough to last a year or so before another upgrade, so I've taken alot of advice from reading many forums and chosen these parts. As you can see I am on budget ~£700/800 :)

Not chosen my monitor yet, not sure betwwen a 15" TFT or 17" CRT. For moving perposes a TFT would be better, but I've heard bad things about them, plus I can save some money with the CRT.

Already got XP Home from upgrading my last pc, so I don't need an os :)

So is this ok? and will everything be compatible?
And finally any good uk sites? I've found planetmicro.co.uk and dabs.com to be pretty good, any cheaper though?

Wow, that's really good (i.e. AMD 64, DL DVD, 512RAM, 160GB), especially for ~$1200. and i would recommend CRT for two reasons: 1) Cheaper (per cm^2) 2) more consistant color and response. I'm very happy with my 21" CRT that i got for only $195! HAven't seen a better looking CRT especially since i've painted my CRT (another +)

Welcome to the forums (noticed it's your first post) :cool:

oh yeah, and what case do you have (if any yet).

everything should be "compatible" and fast as hell :D

Hehe cool, this sort of system would cost me around £1200 from any retailer I am so glad building is soo much cheaper...

The case is in there "Antec Sonata UK 380W PSU ATX" it's been reccomended by afew forums and the reviews are pomising too :)

Is it ok to "not" have a graphics card inside? Just thinking that I might be alittle short until my uni grant/loan come in :D

My bro says CRT too, 17" are getting smaller everyday, my old 19" was about 7" bigger at the back than the one that replaced it half a year later. 40 cm all round seems to be average size and real cheap, might even have enough for an extra 256meg ram if I go CRT.

i wouldnt get value ram unless u cant get better. instead of getting 512 and 256, just get 512 xms ram. itl be MUCH better. other than that ur looking real good

Nice case. If the mobo has a VGA port then i assume (someone correct me if i'm wrong) it will have built-in grafix, so i assume that u will have "enough" video to last you until you actually wnat to start pulling al-nighters in front of your monitor. although i'm not sure if you wanna "blow" $50 more for a measley 256mb since u already have 512, which i think is plenty for anything short of video editing.

U-Toast said:
i wouldnt get value ram unless u cant get better. instead of getting 512 and 256, just get 512 xms ram. itl be MUCH better. other than that ur looking real good

agreed.

(100th post, woohoo!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom