Wrong eSATA Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then your SATA is enabled and is working fine.

Just for the sake of it, take your side panel off and plug your eSATA to SATA cable right into a motherboard SATA port. See if your drive works then.

Tried that and nothing. Went back to USB cable for now. I have no idea why it isn't working. Did you check out my BIOS settings for SATA? Were those ok?

An external drive uses the exact same SATA hookups as your internal drives. The only difference is that the external drive is...external. If your internal drives work, then your SATA works just fine.

I'm not sure why it isn't working for you. Perhaps the cable you're using is bad.

I have tried two different cables - the eSATA to eSATA one I just bought and the cable I had originally (pictured in my first post). It seems highly unlikely that they would both be bad.

Someone on another forum gave me the answer - "eSATA drives are just like internal SATA drives... they are detected by the BIOS at startup. They are not plug-n-play, and require that the computer is shut down and restarted to be found."

Its working great now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom