Motherboard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thresh25

Daemon Poster
I've got a custom built computer, but my brother really did most of it and he no longer lives with me. So, I have decided I need an upgrade, and I need to do it by myself.

What I want to do is upgrade somewhat slowly, keep my existing ram, hdd, and psu, and possibly gpu until I get more money.

So what I'm looking at would be a motherboard and cpu. Let's say I were to keep my existing hdd, and I just got a new cpu and motherboard, is it as simple as just hooking it up and it will run? Or do I need to do something with windows and all that and lose everything on my hdd?

I don't have windows, my brother had used his when he put in on my computer, and that'd be a whole 'nother expense that I don't want to pay for. SO i guess what I'm saying is please explain to me how this process would work with an existing HDD already in place.

Ok, well that puts you in a bit of a tight spot. I would never normally recommend anything short of a full reformat and reinstall of windows, drivers etc. Changing the motherboard is a big deal and if not done like this can cause alot of driver conflicts and system problems.

Now, i said i would never normally recommend anything else, and i still dont. However, it doesnt seem like your able to do this so there are a couple of other options.

1. Using a windows 'repair' has worked for people in the past, however, this doesnt mean their system was as stable as it should have been, nor does it mean it will work for you. You will need the windows disc for this.

2. Using Norton Ghost apparently works. I have never tryed it, but i have heard it is possible so maybe take a bit more of a look into it.

Good luck - remember to back up everything.

Hmm... not sure really what either of those two things are. I'm not completely computer savvy. But in other words you are basically saying there's no way I'd be able to just hook up my existing HDD and start it up with a new mobo?

Bah.. if that's the case that means I'm going to lose all of my old stuff... AND pay more money for windows. ahh technology....

bump... sorry no response sort of an important issue for me.

Please dont double post.

Not much you can do, if you dont have the windows cd.

I suggest you just upgrade the gpu, as that will give you the most performance increase.

Iam a little confused myself.. you want to upgrade.. but only small parts? how far are you going?

Reason is.. if you get a new motherboard.. and cpu... you'd have to make it able to use the RAM you had before- which means that RAM won't really be upgraded anytime even with that new motherboard. If the new motherboard Does Not support that Ram.. you'd have to buy new Ram to fit.

My computer is.. like.. 7+ years old, and dying. I am basically buying a whole new computer, piece by piece paycheck by paycheck. I can't use my "new" computer yet, because I don't have all the functioning parts (mobo/cpu/ram being key elements for the new motherboard)

So really, you needa find out exactly what you got inside there, and how much your really going to have to do to upgrade what you got, if its small upgrade like new Harddrive or major system upgrade, like I have to do.

AND with the 'just upgrade your GPU' thing, you'll need to make sure you buy the right one, if you've got a PCI slot or AGP.

All right thanks. Say I do purchase a windows cd, is there any way I can still use the existing hdd on my new machine? and is it easy to do?

To gothch1ck, I am not that big of a noob lol. My ram is pc 6400 ddr2, which i'd say is decently fast still in today's standards. my gpu is pci-e, I didn't even think they really made pci or agp cards anymore. what I want to do is get a new mobo, supports intel core 2 duo and quad core, then get a new cpu whether it be a quad or duo, and then until I can afford more upgrades, use my existing parts.

All right thanks. Say I do purchase a windows cd, is there any way I can still use the existing hdd on my new machine? and is it easy to do?

Yes, but you would have to transfer all the files you want to keep to some external source, eg. another HDD, Flash drives, DVD etc. Then you would format the HDD (to be clear this means you will lose anything left on there)and install windows, drivers, programs and then transfer your files back on.

Bahhh.. not what I wanted to hear. lol. I wanted to spend a little at a time (I'm bad at saving). For example, get the case, mobo, and processor, and then use my existing parts until I gradually get enough money for full upgrades.

My psu is okay I think, Ultra x-finity 500 watt, my hdd is a sata hdd not sure specs, and my ram is ddr2 pc6400. All that stuff I THINK is still pretty good by today's standards. So not sure how much I'd really need to spend, I could hold off a little while on this gpu as well I believe.

If you use this system for gaming, upgrading the gpu will give you the most performance compared to anything else.

And you can get a quality psu for $50.

A faster cpu wont do anything for gaming, not with an 8600GT anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom