Wrong eSATA Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The drive worked perfectly with the USB cable. It should work as well with the eSATA cable. Everything I need is installed - drivers, etc. How would I troubleshoot something like this?

The SATA controller you've shown doesn't have a USB connection. So when you say it worked fine w/ USB, you are connecting the drive directly into the system. Of course it works, the problem isn't the drive, it is with the SATA controller.

You need to install the SATA driver that came with the controller.

There was no installation CD, except the one for my mobo. I have already installed everything off that CD.

The SATA controller you've shown doesn't have a USB connection. So when you say it worked fine w/ USB, you are connecting the drive directly into the system. Of course it works, the problem isn't the drive, it is with the SATA controller.

You need to install the SATA driver that came with the controller.

It's not a controller, it is just an expansion bay bracket. It has an eSATA port and then a cable that plugs directly into a SATA port on the motherboard.

On a random note: I have that same drive, and I quite like it. :) Never used it with SATA though.

Haha, well in that case Crazy he needs to enable SATA in the BIOS.

Sorry this whole time i thought it was a controller, not a bracket that connects into the sata connectors already on the motherboard.

Enable SATA in your BIOS.

I checked the BIOS and this is what I have for SATA -

Under "Integrated Peripherals" for SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge) I have...

Disabled: Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers to PATA mode. (Default)

AHCI: Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.

RAID: Enables RAID for the SATA controllers.

...and...

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH9R Southbridge)

Disabled: Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode. In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared with other device. Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating systems that do not support Native mode, e.g. Windows 9X/ME. (Default)

Enabled: Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode. Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support Native mode, e.g. Windows XP/2000.

Under "SMART LAN" I have...

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
Enables or disables the IDE and SATA controllers integrated in the GIGABYTE SATA 2 chip. (Default: Enabled)

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controller integrated in the GIGABYTE SATA 2 chip or configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode.

IDE: Disables RAID for the SATA controller and configures the SATA controller to PATA mode. (Default)

AHCI: Configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode. Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver to enable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing and hot plug.

RAID/IDE: Enables RAID for the SATA controller. (The IDE controller still operates in PATA mode)

All the above settings are at DEFAULT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom