Wrong eSATA Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

desktop

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. I have a Gigabyte P35-DS4 (rev 2.1) motherboard with a eSATA bracket which I have installed on the PC back panel. It looks like this....

esatabracket.jpg

Now I just bought a acomdata PureDrive 500GB external hard drive, which has both USB and eSATA hook ups on the back, like this....

acomdatadrive.jpg

My problem is that the eSATA cable I have does not have the same size plugs on both ends....

cables.jpg

As you can see from the pictures both the external eSATA bracket and the acomdata drive take the wide ends of the connector. My cable has a wide connector on one end and a shorter connector on the other. I'm just wondering if I have the wrong cable, and if so which cable do I need to get?

Thanks.

That's due to one end being intended for that brand drive while the other is standard for the eSata port on the board there or for eSata ports seen on cases and expansion cards. It's a quick one way fit.

You'll also notice that the end going into the usb port is different from the typical usb plug there as well. The squared off type plug for the drive is the same as seen on many usb printers while the other end plugs into the standard usb port. Again a one way fit.

That's due to one end being intended for that brand drive while the other is standard for the eSata port on the board there or for eSata ports seen on cases and expansion cards. It's a quick one way fit.

You'll also notice that the end going into the usb port is different from the typical usb plug there as well. The squared off type plug for the drive is the same as seen on many usb printers while the other end plugs into the standard usb port. Again a one way fit.

I have no idea what this means. What is the quick fix?

Well my new cable came today and I hooked it up and nothing. The light on the front of my drive is red and that's about it. Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

It worked fine with the USB cable, now I don't get anything but the red light. There is no reason to format the drive and besides you have to SEE the drive in order to format it - it doesn't even show up in my computer.

Everything is properly installed.The eSATA bracket is hooked up to the SATA plugs on the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom