My Mobo/CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHumanComputer

Daemon Poster
when i first got my computer i opend it up and cleaned it out...

i took the fan off the heat sink and noticed my CPU was glued/stuck to it is this normal?

i mean it has the handel thing so it keeps the cpu in but if i put the handel up i cant put the heatsink back on as its in the way

its all back together i just put the handel back down and put the heatsink back ontop of where the cpu goes and cliped it in.

should the cpu be stuck to the heatsink???????

The CPU is connected to the heatsink via a thermal grease compound. As that ages, it can harden to both and seem like your CPU was glued to the heatsink. You may at that point want to remove the grease with rubbing alcohol and reapply a new layer. Otherwise you should be fine.

The CPU is connected to the heatsink via a thermal grease compound. As that ages, it can harden to both and seem like your CPU was glued to the heatsink. You may at that point want to remove the grease with rubbing alcohol and reapply a new layer. Otherwise you should be fine.

ok thanks for your reply ive never seen one like this befor :)

Unless a computer is is using liquid cooling it is always using thermal paste and a fan/heatsink. So I'm not sure what the other ones you've seen have looked like lol.. :freak:

Well when you get a newer PC, the thermal grease is still molding and setting. After a few years it can leak around the edges and harden. He probably just hadn't seen it harden like that before.

Well when you get a newer PC, the thermal grease is still molding and setting. After a few years it can leak around the edges and harden. He probably just hadn't seen it harden like that before.

na i havent im not sure what i should do....

*edit*

if i take the cpu off the heatsink will it still work? and ill have to put more thermal stuff onto it right?

na i havent im not sure what i should do....

*edit*

if i take the cpu off the heatsink will it still work? and ill have to put more thermal stuff onto it right?

If you take the heatsink off of the CPU the CPU will overheat and windows will likely not bootup since nothing is taking the heat away from the CPU. If you take the heatsink off, clean the old thermal compound off using rubbing alcohol and paper towel (others could possibly suggest a better method), then you will just need to purchase some new thermal grease and apply a small amount to the center of the CPU. Put the heatsink back on and you're all set.

Here is some good thermal compound:
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

If you take the heatsink off of the CPU the CPU will overheat and windows will likely not bootup since nothing is taking the heat away from the CPU. If you take the heatsink off, clean the old thermal compound off using rubbing alcohol and paper towel (others could possibly suggest a better method), then you will just need to purchase some new thermal grease and apply a small amount to the center of the CPU. Put the heatsink back on and you're all set.

Here is some good thermal compound:
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

yeah thats what i meant i think lol :)

*EDIT*

do you know a diffrent site from newegg as i dont live in the us/usai dont think they ship to the UK :(

*edit*

is there any more sound drivers for this motherboard? the ones i have are kind off crap and the sound is really bad

um.. i'm pretty sure that Artic Silver 5 is about the best thermal compound there is but that stuff will work just fine too :) i did the math a few years ago and AS-5 was the best... i'm too lazy to convert all the ft, m, K, C, etc to get an apples to apples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom