64bit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think of it this way. If your system can handle 64 bit and the programs / OS you are using takes advantage of the 64 bit structure the processor can process twice as many instructions.

If you have a bucket of 128 bits of information, and you need to get that bucket from point A to point B. In a 32 bit structure you would have to take 4 trips back and forth get get all of that inormation, with a 64 bit structure you would only have to take two trips.

So while yes, right now with few programs taking advantage of a 64 bit structure the main focal point for people is RAM, but apples to apples a 64 bit system would run faster.

Haha i know, I should have pointed in that direction at first but I couldn't resist. Just kinda of a pet peeve when people just think RAM is the key reason to upgrade. WHile it is a reason it isn't the only reason.

Heck, the OS's and hardware on a desktop level can only support around 16 gig (hardware, OS will probably only use 8 gig of it) at this point anyways, so it isn't like you are able to utilize the amount of RAM addressing that comes with 64 bit.

In any case, the OP has a Pentium 4 processor. So, he will not be able to do much with a 64-bit OS. Would recommend saving up for a new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom