Which is the better deal overall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of James

Solid State Member
I have a choice of computers to purchase, but i do not know which would be the better deal:

1. HP A6700f desktop
HP Pavilion a6700f Desktop Computer With AMD Phenom X4 Quad Core Processor 9150e by Office Depot

please click the "product details" tab for specifics

2. HP A6742p-b desktop
HP Pavilion a6742p b Desktop Computer Bundle With Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5300 19 Widescreen LCD Monitor by Office Depot

please click the "product details" tab for specifics

my areas of concern are:

*the fact that 1. has no monitor for it's price (559.00 and no 7% state tax), while 2. does 549.99 after rebates and 7% state tax).

*1. has a phenom x4 9150 e processor and 2. has a dual core e52300 processor.....and i do not know which is better!

*1. has 4gb ram, while 2. has 6 gb ram.

*1. is wireless ready, 2. is not. (i already have a netgear wireless-g usb 2.0 adapter that i can use, if necessary)

*1. has a "10/100 ethernet" network connectivity, 2. does not. (what is the benefit of having this?)

note:

if i get #1, i will pay no tax (7% in GA), because i will buy it on the military base. and i can get a 19" monitor for 100.00.

thanks to you all in advance.

son of james

Sounds like you have your mind already made up? :p

But do you game? because both of them don't have a GPU... might not be that big a deal t you, but I thought I'd ask. I personally think the AMD is the better deal myself. but why buy, when you can build and get what you want? :)

I guess it would depend on what you'll be using the computer for. If it's for general use, the dual core E5300 will do, though I don't know why they installed 6GB. A bit overkill.

That second computer does have an ethernet port, so it should of network connectivity. I don't know why they said no.

If you're looking to multi-task heavily along with editing and using programs that require alot of processing power, go for the quad.

And I agree with Nukem on building a system. You can a lot more for your money that way.

Sounds like you have your mind already made up? :p

But do you game? because both of them don't have a GPU... might not be that big a deal t you, but I thought I'd ask. I personally think the AMD is the better deal myself. but why buy, when you can build and get what you want? :)

no, i dont game of the pc, anyway. My kids have a wii. thats about as "game" as i get!:laughing:

sometimes, my kids play old school games on the pc, but not any of the new graphic-heavy stuff.

i do not know how to build a computer. and i would not even what would be the best things to put in it!!!

you probably did not see my intro in the intro forums, but i know hardly know anything about computers. i know high gb ram is better, more hertz is better, more gb for the harddrive is better, etc.......and that's about it. what i do not know, is their "betterness" in relation to each other when some variables differ, like the Pcs i provided above.

i know a guy who builds them, but i do not think he could build one for those prices. but i need to talk to him and see.

I guess it would depend on what you'll be using the computer for. If it's for general use, the dual core E5300 will do, though I don't know why they installed 6GB. A bit overkill.

That second computer does have an ethernet port, so it should of network connectivity. I don't know why they said no.

If you're looking to multi-task heavily along with editing and using programs that require alot of processing power, go for the quad.

And I agree with Nukem on building a system. You can a lot more for your money that way.

i'll give you an example of the maximum "multi-tasking" that i have seen on our current pc:

paltalk program
yahoo messenger program
internet explorer window
anti-spyware and security programs working in background

that's about it.

i do not know how to build a comp. would i still be able to get "a lot more for my money" if i have it built?

i'll give you an example of the maximum "multi-tasking" that i have seen on our current pc:

paltalk program
yahoo messenger program
internet explorer window
anti-spyware and security programs working in background

that's about it.
Oh....In that case the second computer will be the one to go with.

You can actually go with this one, and for what you're going to be doing, it's fine:
HP Pavilion Slimline s3700f Desktop Computer With AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 5000 by Office Depot

Son of James said:
i do not know how to build a comp. would i still be able to get "a lot more for my money" if i have it built?
Yes. As long as you let us help you pick out the parts.

Oh....In that case the second computer will be the one to go with.

You can actually go with this one, and for what you're going to be doing, it's fine:
HP Pavilion Slimline s3700f Desktop Computer With AMD Athlon X2 Dual Core Processor 5000 by Office Depot

Yes. As long as you let us help you pick out the parts.

sorry for not getting back w/ you guys in the past couple of days. and again, thanks to all who have helped me so far.

ok. i am game to try and build one.

what could i get for about 600.00? do i need any special tools?

Do you need the whole thing, with speakers, keys/mouse, monitor, OS, etc? Or just the tower?

Case - Newegg.com - Rosewill R5605-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Front Mesh Design Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Mobo - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

LCD - Newegg.com - ASUS VW198T Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1, 3000:1(ASCR) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Keys/Mouse - Newegg.com - Logitech 967973-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Deluxe 250 Desktop - Keyboards

Speakers - Newegg.com - Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - Speakers

Here's the whole package. It comes in just under $600 without the shipping and handling. If you don't need everything, just remove any component you don't need, and have already. Like the monitor, speakers, etc.

Do you need the whole thing, with speakers, keys/mouse, monitor, OS, etc? Or just the tower?

Case - Newegg.com - Rosewill R5605-BK 0.8mm Japanese Cold Rolled Steel Front Mesh Design Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

PSU - Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Mobo - Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L LGA 775 Intel G31 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

CPU - Newegg.com - Intel Pentium E2200 Allendale 2.2GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

HDD - Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Optical - Newegg.com - LG Black 22X (CAV) DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X (CAV) DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

LCD - Newegg.com - ASUS VW198T Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1, 3000:1(ASCR) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors

OS - Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Keys/Mouse - Newegg.com - Logitech 967973-0403 Black 104 Normal Keys PS/2 Standard Deluxe 250 Desktop - Keyboards

Speakers - Newegg.com - Logitech S-220 17 Watts 2.1 Multimedia Speaker System - Speakers

Here's the whole package. It comes in just under $600 without the shipping and handling. If you don't need everything, just remove any component you don't need, and have already. Like the monitor, speakers, etc.

please pardon my ignorance, by why does it "seem" that the other two's specs are better than this build?

this one has 2gb ram, the others had 4 and 6 gb
this has e2200 dual core, the others had e5300 dual core and phenom quad core
this one has 250 gb hdd, the others had 500 gb hdd
this one has vista 32 bit, the others had 64-bit

?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom