Uh oh odd sound coming from fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So heres the situation, I didn't do any changes to my computer. One day I turn it on and hear an odd louder then normal spinning noise, it was even louder then my HSF and GFX card fan, heres what I did:

1. I opened up the side panel and verified that all the fans were spinning ( the 2 rear ones, 1 top one, and the front case fan. I verified the graphic card fan was spinning because the card stayed at 55 c and there was a volume change when I manually increased it to 100% which means it wasnt that other noise. I verified the HSF was running simply by looking at core temp and seeing my chip temps were really low and Im guessing if my HSF failed it would instantly be burning up. my PSU fan was also spinning ( although it always spins pretty slow )

2. verified there was no temperature increase in my gfx card temp and processor temps

After a while I started to hear the loud spinning noise start to die down, almost as if a fan was failing, I quickly checked all the fans I could see and didn't see any spin down on any of the fans and a few more seconds later that loud spinning noise died down completely and I verified once more that all fans were still running and that there was no temperature increase.

My question is...anyone know what the heck happened? I don't think it could have been my 2 hard drives because the spinning noise sounded more fan like then hard drive like. If a fan did fail...which was it? I checked every fan I could possibly see. later on I checked my bios and noticed that DDR18V now said fail. I thought this was somehow related, but this wasn't with the discovery of this post: VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum! - View Single Post - E6300 and DS4 overclocker. Come in

Anyone have any ideas? any ideas at all?

Next time stop each fan with your finger (by touching the inner circle not the blades) until you stop a fan that is making the noise. Thats an easy way to tell what was making it.

A part from that i would have said one of your hard drives is about to fail. So back that **** up.

Now and then my front fan (came with the case, i have not replaced it yet) makes a scratching noise, kinda, the fan vibrates closer the the spool, to fix it i pull it out a bit.

Next time stop each fan with your finger (by touching the inner circle not the blades) until you stop a fan that is making the noise. Thats an easy way to tell what was making it.

A part from that i would have said one of your hard drives is about to fail. So back that **** up.

hmmm wow touching the fan huh? Is there a higher chance the hard drive with the OS will fail compared to the hard drive with just data? I've asked this before...but just how common is it for hard drives to fail? For my friends it seems like they are replacing their hard drives every year...but my compaq computers hard drive lasted 5 years just fine

ow touching the fan huh? Is there a higher chance the hard drive with the OS will fail compared to the hard drive with just data? I've asked this before...but just how common is it for hard drives to fail? For my friends it seems like they are replacing their hard drives every year...but my compaq computers hard drive lasted 5 years just fine

hdd's do fail now and again, and they can be random...so rule out that the fans could be making the noise first.

hmmm wow touching the fan huh?

Yeah, it doesnt break them or anything, your only stopping each fan for like 2 seconds to see if the noise has ceased...

And like Luke said, it does happen and its mostly random.
PS: The HDD with the OS is more likely to fail if your other harddrive isnt used as much (which is almost always the case.)

someone once had me look at thier computer that was making an odd noise like that thought it was a fan and it ended up being the cdrom drive spinning up the slowing down making the noise.
light hummmmmm get alittle louder and wind down.. replaced the drive never came back.
sounds wierd i know but figured worth throwing in here.
IF the fan thing does not end up being your problem.
tapping the spinning fans will make it change pitch or stop and go if thats it.

ah thanks guys I took your advice

this morning when I turned my computer on the odd noise was happening again and I tried the small rear fan ( the one above the main rear one ) and it instantly stopped the noise once I put my finger on the center to stop it, and once I let go it ran just fine with no noise. My question is...whats the next step? why was that fan making that noise, does it mean its going to die soon?

^no, it means it was rubbing against the spool, or the case in someway, if it does it again, try pulling the center a bit and getting it away from the case a tad. If it keeps making the noise, tap it around a bit until it stops. No big deal eh :D.

^no, it means it was rubbing against the spool, or the case in someway, if it does it again, try pulling the center a bit and getting it away from the case a tad. If it keeps making the noise, tap it around a bit until it stops. No big deal eh :D.

thanks ill try that and I'm assuming to do that when the fan isn't running :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom