Am+2/am3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monkey

In Runtime
Is AM3 going to be the new socket for AMD in the future?
I am building a machine and I plan on putting a phenom Ii 4X 920 in it which is an AM2+ socket. But, i noticed when searching for more MOBO options that they had an AM2+/AM3 socket MOBOs. so I am just trying to figure out if buying the am2+/AM3 socket will give me better upgrading potential?

Well since AM2/Am3 is backwards compatible.. so it doesn't matter in terms of upgrading compatibility..

Will you need an AM3 socket for DDR3? I tried searching, but everything gives mixed answers. I believe you will need AM3, but I'm not 'up-to-date' with the new processors, and platforms.

Hello,

AM3 socket processors work in AM2 and AM2+ socket motherboards. However, AM2 and AM2+ socket processors do not work in AM3 socket motherboards.

This is because AM3 socket processors can use either DDR2 or DDR3 memory, therefore having backwards support for DDR2 memory in AM2 and AM2+ motherboards. AM2 and AM2+ processors on the other hand, do not have a DDR3 memory controller and can only support DDR2 memory; therefore it isn't compatible in AM3 socket motherboard where there is only DDR3 memory support (as gt7sanremo said).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom