please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomshardware is running a 965 Extreme with two 295s in SLI and is only drawing 776w on full load with overclock.

Power Consumption - Review Tom's Hardware : System Builder Marathon: The $5,000 Extreme PC

So, the Corsair 750 will be plenty.

A common mistake made by inexperienced PC builders - power supplies degrade over time. The degradation occurs even faster when a power supply is pushed to its maximum potential every day. Resistors and capacitors wear down over time and lose their efficiency. Even solid state capacitors degrade, albeit at a slower rate than the older liquid capacitors.

Thus, a 1000W power supply will take much longer to degrade over time versus a 750W or even 850W. This allows for a longer life and a more stable power source. I really do mean that you can never have enough power!

However, if you are strapped with a specific budget then 750W will do you just fine. Just don't come complaining back to this forum if your 750W power supply doesn't meet your needs in the next year or two...

Well while your right that PSUs do degrade over time, i think you are accounting for a little too much.

Take the 750TX - Having 60A on the 12v rails. Power draw on systems benched with a hd 4870 is around 22-26A. Another 4870 would be at most 16-17A, i mean its hard to get an exact draw, but a quad core setup should draw at least 9-10A. So worst case scenario, with a few amps added for good measure, its going to draw 45A. That still leaves 15A, with the PSU running at 75% under load.

I still dont see this as tight, and not enough to degrade it at an accelerated rate. Another $140 bucks for another 20A and 1000W seems pointless. SLI GTX285s maybe a different case.

Thank you very much!

Yes, for the parts I want to get PCMegastore does have the best deal.

So would you recommend to order from different stores?

I initially thought, I'd order all the stuff form one store, and that's it, but Tweakers.net got me thinking.
Now I am considering ordering parts fomr different sotres, but not so much in order to save a few euro's but more to get my parts sooner, as some parts will take 6-10 days to deliver at PCMegastore, whereas other stores have it in stock.

Which of these Samsungs should I gert, if I want 1TB?
PC Megastore: de beste en goedkoopste online PC winkel van nederland

Yea it was the same for me. It's not just price, availability is also important. If you order at 1 store you probably get all your items at once but the longest item sets the time...
There's nothing wrong with ordering at different stores since you're building at home. It all comes in through the mail.

That's a nice build you've got there.

p.s. I know you've already ordered

Yea it was the same for me. It's not just price, availability is also important. If you order at 1 store you probably get all your items at once but the longest item sets the time...
There's nothing wrong with ordering at different stores since you're building at home. It all comes in through the mail.

That's a nice build you've got there.

p.s. I know you've already ordered

Thanks !:)

Yes, I ordered late last night....finally. Took me long enough already...:rolleyes:

I was checking where I'd get which part soonest, but in the end I just decided to get everything from PcMegastore.
I had e-mailed thme a few times with questions and they came back to me quickly, so looks like a good customer service so far.

Looking forward to getting the parts and start building!:)

I ordered all the parts from one online shop, but yesterday they sent me an e-mail saying the delivery will have a delay because some parts (HAF case and Sapphire GPU) are not in stock yet. This means I'd have to wait about 2 more weeks:eek:

So, I decided to cancel the order of those specific parts and ordered thme elsewhere (in stores thst said they had them in stock), in the end this costs me a bit more (about 30 Euro which is about 40 US$), but what the heck, if I still get my parts sooner then, to me it's well worth those extra 40 bucks!

I also changed the PSU:eek: One of the stores had the Corsair 850W, and it's not much more (only about 18 bucks more or so) than the 750W, so I decided to get that instead of the 750. Can't hurt, can it?!:rolleyes:

I also ordered my OS (Win XP home) and Steingerb Cubase Esential 4 (music production and recording software):)
I was considering getting MS Office, too, but I some good took advice from Yamikotai and decided to get Open Office instead.

Why Win XP? Vista is newer and most of the kinks has been worked out.
Btw did you get the 64bit version since you're working with 6gb ram and 32bit only recognises 4gb including gpu memory which brings u down to 3gb.

Why Win XP? Vista is newer and most of the kinks has been worked out.
Btw did you get the 64bit version since you're working with 6gb ram and 32bit only recognises 4gb including gpu memory which brings u down to 3gb.

32 bit for now. No 64 bit for me until the music software and hardware is fully compatible. There's a lot of problems with compatibility on 64bit and vist, too in that field. But I still wanted the 6GB for future (64 bit might be coming someday):cool:

BTW, see in this case, I decided to change my order to get stuff form different sotres, just for getting the parts in sooner, for even paying a little more. It's crazy, I know, but I really don't wnt to wait until March (thatS' what PCMegastore told me the order would take).

Sorry been busy forgot to log in an check.

yes its the HAF 932 version, if your still needing the DVD, I can dig out links, was going to wait until the whole thing arrived for it's Unveiling, but won't mind helping out.

The TX750W was said to be totally fine for Dual Radeon 4870's, which are the 7th best graphics card around right now on the list here, and will (by itself, as a single card) play nearly every single game full graphics up to a reasonable display size, so getting what you want, your fine for dual card SLI too, just relax, and remember you won't be able to Triple or Quad card unless you get more power, but seriously.. triple carding is a waste of money.. you get some 15% performance boost... I think.. (don't quote me on that)

I need sleep, long night, but feel free to Message me and keep in touch, I hope to order my Motherboard now (in progress even hehe) and then have it all arrive within a week or so. Except the case.. which has sadly been postponed due to unforseen expenses.

32 vs 64 bit - make sure you get a 64 bit OS if your having more then 4GB of RAM.

Sorry been busy forgot to log in an check.

yes its the HAF 932 version, if your still needing the DVD, I can dig out links, was going to wait until the whole thing arrived for it's Unveiling, but won't mind helping out.

The TX750W was said to be totally fine for Dual Radeon 4870's, which are the 7th best graphics card around right now on the list here, and will (by itself, as a single card) play nearly every single game full graphics up to a reasonable display size, so getting what you want, your fine for dual card SLI too, just relax, and remember you won't be able to Triple or Quad card unless you get more power, but seriously.. triple carding is a waste of money.. you get some 15% performance boost... I think.. (don't quote me on that)

I need sleep, long night, but feel free to Message me and keep in touch, I hope to order my Motherboard now (in progress even hehe) and then have it all arrive within a week or so. Except the case.. which has sadly been postponed due to unforseen expenses.

32 vs 64 bit - make sure you get a 64 bit OS if your having more then 4GB of RAM.

Thanks !:)

I already ordered my parts, and today I got the HAF932 already.:cool:

Initially I ordered these DVD bruners: Samsung SH-223F PC Megastore: de beste en goedkoopste online PC winkel van nederland

but it seems they are the part that's causing a delay in delivery, since they have to get them from their distributor first, so I thought, I might wanna change my order to these DVD-Bruners instead: LG GH22NS30 SATA Black Bulk PC Megastore: de beste en goedkoopste online PC winkel van nederland
Those are in stock, so delivery would be sooner.

Would those LG's be a good alternative to the Samsungs? Or which would be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom