please give me some advice/opinions on this i7 920 build I want to get

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't need a PSU bigger than 750W. It can handle an extra graphic card, a few extra HDDs and fans. That Corsair 750W is pretty mighty.

And 250GB is fine for OS. Are you RAIDing those two TB HDDs by the way?

Thanks again ! I appreciate your advice !

So, I add this one for OS:

Samsung SpinPoint F1 250GB 16MB SATA HD252HJ

I wil get ready to order online:cool:

Nice rig Santuzzo - they only thing I would recommend is for you to get a more powerful power supply. A decent quality 1KW power supply would be perfect ;) I would recommend the Corsair HX1000 modular power supply or if you want to spend a bit more, the Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W modular unit.

Ninja

Nice rig Santuzzo - they only thing I would recommend is for you to get a more powerful power supply. A decent quality 1KW power supply would be perfect ;) I would recommend the Corsair HX1000 modular power supply or if you want to spend a bit more, the Thermaltake Toughpower 1000W modular unit.

Ninja

LOL. :laughing: Good one:p

I just ordered!

Don't make fun of me, I am a noob, and I was not sure how big the PSU should be:rolleyes:

You don't need a PSU bigger than 750W. It can handle an extra graphic card, a few extra HDDs and fans. That Corsair 750W is pretty mighty.

And 250GB is fine for OS. Are you RAIDing those two TB HDDs by the way?

Oh, sorry, I missed your last question.
Well, I have hear of RAID, but I am not sure if I fully know how it works. But if I am understanding this right, it means that the two HDD's will back-up one another in RAID 1, then thaT's what I tihnk I should do.

RAID 0 I understand is two HDD's combined to work together so they are faster, but if one gets damaged all data is lost. Is that correct?

How do I set up two HHD's in RAID? I need a special software I suppose?

Ninja

He does not need 1000W. Thats overkill, even for two hd4870s. A 750TX would be absolutely fine.

1000W is only need for something like tri SLI GTX285s or SLI GTX295s.

He does not need 1000W. Thats overkill, even for two hd4870s. A 750TX would be absolutely fine.

Cheers, mate !

I think he was teasing me:rolleyes:, because I kept asking whethetr I needed a 1000W PSU, and everybody kept assrugin me 750W would be fine. And I still keppt going "but.....if I want to add another HDD, a blu-ray burenr and a 2nd graphics card, etc...". So, he was joking, I think!:)

Here is where I checked, too: Welcome to Corsair :: Power Supplies

I just orederd the parts online about 15 mins ago, BTW. Now I can't wait!:happy::D:cool:

It's not about today - I was trying to help him plan for upgrading tomorrow... It beats having to buy another power supply in a year or so.

I had an 850W Thermaltake Toughpower running two GTX260s in SLI and it did the job, but the PSU fan would turn on high whenever I would game. It just became annoying so I decided to upgrade to the Corsair HX1000 and that thing is whisper quite even when playing Crysis (or Crysis Warhead) at 1920x1200 resolution with all settings maxed (except AA which is set at 4X).

You can never have too much power, just not enough...food for thought.

It's not about today - I was trying to help him plan for upgrading tomorrow... It beats having to buy another power supply in a year or so.

I had an 850W Thermaltake Toughpower running two GTX260s in SLI and it did the job, but the PSU fan would turn on high whenever I would game. It just became annoying so I decided to upgrade to the Corsair HX1000 and that thing is whisper quite even when playing Crysis (or Crysis Warhead) at 1920x1200 resolution with all settings maxed (except AA which is set at 4X).

You can never have too much power, just not enough...food for thought.

Oh, so you were not joking?:confused:

OK, hmmm...too late now, I already ordered:eek:
But I could still change the order and get the Corsair 1000W ATX.

Look, it's not that I'm trying to save moeny by getting the 750W instead of the 1000W (I would have gotten the Corsair 850W, but the store doesn't have those).

So, seriously guys, tell me what do I need if I want to keep upgrade options open for: a 4th HDD, a blu-ray bruner and a 2nd graphics card to my present rig. Will the 750 W be good or should I get the Corsair 1000W ATX. Plase let me know, I could still call the store tomorrow morinng and change the PSU. Either is fine for me, I would not mind paying a little more to get the 1000W, but if it's overkill and not necessary, of course, I'd rather not get it then.

Seriously it is overkill. Even if you did add another HD4870, a couple of hard drives, etc.

Look at what gt7 posted.

The 1000W range would come in handy if you're doing a Tri-SLI or Quad-SLI setup, with watercooling. Or having more than 6 hard drives and such. That range of wattage is for extreme. Your system is high performance, but nowhere near extreme. 750W is plenty. Do not worry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom