No video on boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

cschoeps

Beta member
Hi all,

I recently took apart my computer to clean out all the dust/general maintenance. When I was pulling the heatsink out , it pulled the CPU out with it, without unlocking the CPU socket. I didn't feel I was pulling overly hard, but it's possible that I broke something. Of course after this, the plastic mount that holds on the heatsink broke when I was tightening the handle (all of the parts are 4 or 5 years old). I managed to strap down the heatsink with dental floss :), but when I boot up i get no video.

There are no beeps on startup, and I've tried another video card in a PCI slot (VGA) as opposed to my PCI-e slot (DVI).

I'm worried that my processor is shot, as normally there are beeps if anything is wrong, and the CPU is working.

I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks

Specs:
Athlon 64 3500+
Asrock 939 Dual SATA Mobo
Asus EN7200GS Video
1GB Ram

sounds like you may have ripped off a cpu pin, maybe you should download a pin layout diagram and match it against the bottom of your cpu or look for any pins stuck in the socket.

this was pretty common with those AMD heatsinks. in future, run the cpu at a good load using something like prime95 for 5-10 minutes before removing the heatsink. that should loosen up the thermal grease. then try and remove the clips first and twist the heatsink a bit before trying to pull up. that should break the seal.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check it out. I've never had a problem with the CPU being plastered to the heat sink like that. Good tip on letting it heat up some first.

Thanks

I would get that replaced asap as far as the heatsink i don't think dental floss is going to apply enough pressure evenly to dissipate the heat.
Thats pretty amazing it pulled out so easily with it locked down and did not damage any pins or the socket.
if you were moving things around a great deal cleaning i would dble check all your connections make sure everything is fully seated.
If you figure it out be careful and monitor those cpu temps with it held in place like that.
does'nt floss have wax on it also? might get hot.
check the socket itself and possibly a hairline crack on the cpu? if it came out on an angle.
hard call when ya can't see the post.
best of luck, hope ya get it figured out.
:)

Thanks, I've been looking around quite a bit and haven't found anything. I've checked and re-checked all of the connections. If the CPU wasn't shot, I should at least get something on boot-up, even if there's no heatsink right? Not for prolonged running, just right when it starts up. And the dental floss was more of a check to see if I could get it to start up...yea the wax probably won't do too hot in the long term :).

I've been looking to upgrade for a while, maybe this is the excuse I need. It would be nice to use the old computer for something else, but if it's broken...it's broken.

Thanks for all of the advice

CPUs can heat up very quickly and shutdown fairly instantaneously when not adequately cooled. though i'd say if the heatsink is at least touching with a decent surface area it should probably give some sort of output. is it possible you damaged the motherboard in one of your actions while removing the heatsink? i myself have been guilty of accidently smashing an SMD inductor on an old Socket A board while trying to remove a particularly stubborn heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom