Where do you see the performance results of OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
I'm just curious. The reason I ask is for about two months I had my q6600 OC to 3.0. To be honest I really never saw any performance increase. Maybe I need to pull out a stop watch and see if I shaved a few tenths of load times for opening apps or loading a game?

As a matter of fact when I used winrar to unrar a file typically the screen that pops up asking me where I want to put the file would lag. It took a few moments to load the other HDD and such. As soon as I put it back to stock settings, 2.4GHz that problem went away.

It's like my PC actually runs better stock.

So where can I see the results? Other then a 3Dmark score??? Heck I think my computer even boots faster on stock.

It really depends what you are doing. What games have you been playing? What do you normally do on your computer? If you are just doing general things, and playing non-cutting edge games then you might as well keep it on stock.

For most people, overclocking an already high end processor is pointless. It's not like you are going to see an increase in fluidness when your desktop experience is already perfect.

When an overclock seems to perform slower or worst than stock speeds, it's sometimes a sign of an unstable overclock.

sure I play Crysis WH, FEAR 2, GTA4. I don't really think my cpu OC would make these games perform better? Maybe loading times but not actual game play.

I just thought OC would result in some pretty noticeable differences and I don't see that. Not on my PC and not on a buddies, which he has same cpu at 3.4 GHz

When an overclock seems to perform slower or worst than stock speeds, it's sometimes a sign of an unstable overclock.

You know that is my thoughts as well. However it's hard to point where it's unstable. I believe that is the case. But when my temps are low and I have upped the volts where needed where is this unstable problem at?

It could be ram, and as the cpu runs at a higher and higher freq, the colder the processor needs to be to run stable -- but since you are only doing it a few hundred mhz that probably isn't an issue. It very well could be that your processor is just not lucky and you can't squeeze much out of it.

I find a huge diference in load times, but as you noticed, not in game.

I have recently found, my everyday stable oc, really wasn't when i started folding. I had to up my vcore by 0.07Vs from 1.30 to 1.376 to run 24/7 at any load.

You know that is my thoughts as well. However it's hard to point where it's unstable. I believe that is the case. But when my temps are low and I have upped the volts where needed where is this unstable problem at?

Run a stress testing program. Intel Burn test is the best, it is what Intel uses to make sure their chips are good before they ship them. If you get errors then you are unstable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom