New to Building a PC - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalie105

Baseband Member
I've decided I'm going to have a go at building my own pc but I don't really know much about how to! I know what I need like motherboard, processor, all the components, but I'm stuck on whether a will work with b. For example, whether the motherboard is suitable for the processor and the memory will be compatable. I've made a list of the stuff I'd like to use to build so if anyone could tell me whether the components will work with each other or if there's any improvements I can make by getting a better whatever. Here's what I've got so far:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) Retail Boxed Processor - Ebuyer

Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard

Asus P5KPL-AM iG31 Socket 775 onboard VGA 8 channel audio mATX Motherboard - Ebuyer

Memory: Crucial 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty

Crucial 4GB Kit (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory Non-ECC Unbuffered CL6 Lifetime Warranty - Ebuyer

Case: Black/Silver Mid Tower Case with Front Panel LCD Display and 8cm Side Fan - No PSU

Black/Silver Mid Tower Case with Front Panel LCD Display and 8cm Side Fan - No PSU - Ebuyer

PSU: Sumvision 400W 20+4pin 80mm Fan PSU - With 1x SATA, ATX12V Connector - Retail Boxed

Sumvision 400W 20+4pin 80mm Fan PSU - With 1x SATA, ATX12V Connector - Retail Boxed - Ebuyer

I'm going to use the graphics card that I've got in this machine which is a NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS 512mb and I'd like to use my current HDD but is that possible? Would I be able to take out my HDD in this computer and install it in the one I'll be building or will I have to buy a new one? If so, which type of HDD should I get or what should I look for that will be compatable. I've got my mouse, keyboard, speakers and monitor that I can use too, and also my sound card which is a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Card but would the sound card and graphics card that are built in the motherboard be better? I'd really appreciate it if someone could answer some or all of my questions because I really haven't a clue yet!

Have I missed anything else out that I'll be needing? If so, what have I missed?

I'd like my machine to be very fast and able to handle most programmes and alot of programmes at once, and especially The Sims 3 when it comes out on friday!

Natalie

Well a quick glance says that your build would work alright. What form factor is your 7100gs? Are you sure it isn't integrated because I didn't know that the 7100gs actually was produced as a stand alone, dedicated card. If it is pci express then it will work in your system. Also, I see no reason why you would need to get a new hard drive, your old one should work fine.

Thanks for your reply. Actually I think the NVIDIA card may be integrated. I'm not too sure so I'll have to check. Is the graphics card on the motherboard listed above good enough for The Sims 3? That's really the only game I play on the PC but is it pretty decent?

I have no idea, but I don't see why the Sims would require a graphics card above that -- so you will probably be good. I think it is a safe bet that your graphics card is integrated, so just find the cheapest video card you can get and stick that in with your build. A $30 one on newegg would be a huge improvement too from what you currently are using.

EDIT: XFX HD 4350 512MB DDR2 VGA DVI TV Out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer This is probably what you would want to go for.

YA your deff gonna want a video card..
my niece plays Sims and it ran like crap on the same intel integrated.
for what your shooting for from your description the rest looks like it would function.

Ok thanks everyone. Is the PSU I've chose ok? Also would I need to get a fan or anything else to keep it cool?

A 400 watt power supply should be enough, and I doubt you would need any extra fans to keep everything in there running at cool, safe temperatures.

That PSU is awful but 400W is easily enough. If you had more Watts it would make no difference whatsoever.

EDIT: The Q6600 is way too powerful and expensive for playing sims (I remember forcing the original sims to play on a 133MHz pentium). Also you are going to hate that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom