BIOS FLASH problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

robwing

Beta member
I am trying to repair a computer that had the wrong BIOS flashed to it. Is there a way to roll back to the prior version?

if it was flashed, the short answer is NO. However, check the manufaturer's site and find out the location of the jumper to reset to default. If the flashing didn't work, you might be able to get the old bios back but it is doubtful. However, the manufaturer should be able to send you a bios chip. You may also try and download the proper bios to a diskette and try reflashing it but again it is doubtful.

if you put the jumper on the MBD to recovery, will it show any screen or are you just dead? If you can get a screen in recovery jumper, then get the correct bios and flash it again. If you get a blank screen or just wont boot, then your screwed. Just get a new bios chip if ya want and will probalby need the chip xtractor tools and such

Clearing the CMOS will not restore the BIOS to its previous version.

How far can you get when booting up the system?

removing the battery just erases what is stored in CMOS memory for bios comparisons. It wont change the bios.

Yeah. Generally when the BIOS gets flashed wrong...you're up a paddle without a river. Your only best bet is to do what killian said and check to see if you can get ANY response out of that motherboard with the jumpers set to MBD recovery. I suppose you could get a new BIOS chip, but yeah you'd need those extractor tools and I've never even replaced a BIOS chip before.

Well, the jumper set for recovery, it won't even power on. I tried to set it there for a couple minutes, but it didn't work. I went ahead and ordered a new MB. Thanks anyway for the advice, all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom