Can you see any problems with this spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagey

Beta member
Hi guys,

I've been looking into getting myself a new machine for sometime. I don't have the time to build one at the moment, and as it forms a very important part of my profession, I can't afford to stuff something like that up!

So, I have a quote for a machine. I'm happy with the quote, but just wanted to make sure that it all sounds good to you.

Here goes:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q9400 Quad Core Processor(2.66GHz,6MB Cache,1333MHz)

Genuine Windows Vistaâ„¢ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit

Midi-Tower ATX Case with 700W PSU

ASUS P5QL Pro Mainboard - Intel P43 - Intel Coreâ„¢ 2 Duo/ Quad/ Extreme - ATX

8192MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (4 x 2GB)

1TB (1x 1000GB) Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive with 32MB Buffer

Blu-Ray Combo Optical Drive (BluRay read, DVD and CD read and write)

512MB ATi HD4670 Graphics accelerator - DVI, DirectX 10.1 PCI Express 2

22" Iiyama ProLite E2208HDS-1 (1920x1080) Full HD Monitor

7.1 High Definition onboard sound card

Logitech Desktop Keyboard & Optical Mouse

11x USB 2.0 Ports (6 ports at back panel, 5 ports at mid-board) - ASUS P5QL Pro

PCIe Gigabit LAN controller featuring AI NET 2 - ASUS P5QL Pro

52-in-1 Multi-format Memory Card Reader (ATX)

Sound like it'll all run smoothly?

Thanks

Seems ok, but in all honesty...

8GB of ram is overkill unless your going to use it all running your apps... 4GB at most is usually enough
The Bluray... meh... I'd go with a cheaper DVD burner myself, but to each they're own
I would also go with 2 500GB, or some type of combo... (don't leave all your eggs in one basket)

Just my 2 and half cents

Thanks dude.

I suppose I'm hoping that this machine might last me a little while! Ram size has been creeping up and up over the years, and I guess in 2 or 3 years 8 may be the average on new machines. Just wanted to stay ahead of the game.

Any other thoughts are welcome.

I don't know what kind of case you're buying, unless it's a Antec, I wouldn't use the psu that comes with it.

If you are looking for this computer to last for a while I would consider spending the extra money on an i7 build. Are you building this yourself or is it a prebuilt? What is your budget and what is the cost of this current build?

Am buying a pre-built machine.

As stated, I haven't got the time to build.

I've had a quote for this system of £890. To be honest, thats at the top end of my budget, so don't want to spend anymore!

Thoughts?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom