HDMI, Component, TV out and all the fun that goes with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thecube

Beta member
Hi,

Ive just bought a toshiba 42rv555db and want to run it at 1080p from my computer for watching hi def films and also playing games.

My current specs are:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz)
ASUS P5K AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 eSATA 8channel Audio ATX Motherboard
GECUBE X1950Pro 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card
Cibox C1905 19"TFT Monitor Widescreen 1440x900 800:1 5ms VGA

The monitor is connected with a dvi - vga cable. When i got the tv i (foolishly) assumed that i would be able to plug my monitor into one dvi port and the new tosh into the other. When i do this the computer recognises its there, but wont put a picture to it.

Ive now got it connected over the component video out on the card, but i would like to connect it by hdmi for best picture qualiy.

whats my best option, to buy a new graphics card that will output to dvi (dvi to vga cable to be precise) AND to my tv through a hdmi port? i dont know if these even exsist and its hard to tell what the graphics cards makers mean by 'tv out'.

Would it be possible to buy another card that has an hdmi out that i can run in crossfire with the card i already have?

Any and all advice on getting this sorted would be fantastic!

Cheers for the super swift reply salty!

Thats what im using at the mo, sorry should have made that clear in the post. Im currently trying to use a dvi to vga cable for the monitor, and a dvi to hdmi cable for the tv. Some forums ive seen suggest that you cant run the 2 dvi ports to differnt types of device (one being vga the other being the HDTV), that you have to use the dvi port for a monitor and the tv out for the HDTV. Even in my 'working setup' i cant get it to display on both at the same time, i have to switch between them.

Are there cards out there that will run extended desktop with one being the vga monitor on the DVI port and the other being the HDTV through the HDMI port?

DVI ports come in three main types with the pin configuration different for each

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/img/dvi-out-01.jpg
DVI-I - Interlaced analogue and digital

http://www.lyberty.com/encyc/articles/tech/img/dvi-d-out-hdcp.jpg
digital only

analogue only - very rare doubt you have it

It may be specific to your card as that is quite an old series now but I have not heard of people having an issue trying to transmit analogue and digital signal at the same time. I ran a triple monitor setup for quite a while with 1 vga connection and 2 dvi connections with the same card (8800gts) managing both the vga and dvi signal.

Have you properly configured them in you gfx properties?
Have you tried a third party program to manage the displays? (multi mon (free) or ultra mon (free trial))

i havent tried another third party program yet, thats probably the best step to try before buying anything else. At the momoent i use the ATI catalyst control centre, when i try to extend the desktiop onto the HDTV the monitor screen goes blank for a sec and then comes back, but refuses to enable the tv. The same happens when i use the windows screen settings controls. Its sounding more and more like its just a problem with my graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom