Reputation system has been activated

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.. unless the ppl we are helping are seasoned veterans here.. then the average person that just comes here for help which are the one's we are helping, they can't rep us?.. does this not defeat the purpose?

kinda my point as well, most people that would need a lot of help (worthy of rep help) would be new members,...

It does defeat the purpose, but at the same time it doesnt as members are supposed to rep what they think is good information, but I have run into a few posts where I cant rep someone because I have given them rep in the last ten reps... Seems kinda blah....

So.. unless the ppl we are helping are seasoned veterans here.. then the average person that just comes here for help which are the one's we are helping, they can't rep us?.. does this not defeat the purpose?

But what is your definition of the purpose??

Do you need to have a number? does it make you cooler??

Reps are only positive, so the fact you got one means your help was appreciated... who cares if it was no points..

See, like i had said before... just like high school, reps make you cool.

But what is your definition of the purpose??

Reps are only positive, so the fact you got one means your help was appreciated... who cares if it was no points..

Ehm, no sir. I don't look to be cool on Tech Forums ;) infact I'm not here looking for accolades at all. I enjoy helping people and giving advice that I didn't have but only through Dell Tech Support early on.. (Win 95-98 days)

And when my help or info is appreciated it's nice to see but not expected.. I was not sure if it was a good accolade or a negative, so that was my main question.

If a person has below 50 Rep points themselves they can rep but they will not give any points.

So it will appear Grey.

This is so the system does NOT get abused. This is so that people who are newer dont just sign up, or a spam account reps another spam account to get them good rep. Or someone signing up via a proxy to get them good rep.

IF a person has lower than 50 points in Rep to begin with they can rep. but it doesnt count in a positive or negative way toward the person they are giving rep to. They can give rep, but it will show up as just a grey box with a comment (If they leave one).

If they choose not to leave a comment then you will see that someone like what you had posted, but that is it. They are to low in reputation themselves to give rep.

The system is a work in progress. It is setup with limits for various reasons.

Like if i give rep i can give almost 25 points of rep in 1 shot. But i can only rep 10 people a day. This is a limit for EVERYONE. So that the system is not over abused. You also can not give the same person Rep if they are within the last 20 people you gave Rep to so that Rep can be spread out.

There are kinks, we know this. But since the system was put into place so late, there is bound to be kinks and people that are not going to like it/understand it.

We have to just try to get to the point where people are using the Rep system more than relying on post count for people's knowledge.

no, by no means...my idea of the purpose of the system is for people looking for information know which people are reliable and which are not.

no, by no means...my idea of the purpose of the system is for people looking for information know which people are reliable and which are not.

This is the purpose of the system.

It is not for popularity. If it turns out that people are just repping others to make it be so the system will be disabled.

It is in fact to be used to show knowledge of the poster. IF they know their stuff and if they give out good info.

It is not so that you and a few friends can gang up and rep each other every chance you can to see who can get the highest rep.

This system is to take place of people putting such a high regard on post count. Cause having a high post count doesnt equal knowledge in every aspect. People can have a high post count but not know all that much bout certain aspects of computing.

I have a high post count but i am not that great with the hardware aspect at this time. It has been 5 years since i built my own PC. But i can troubleshoot and figure out what is going wrong.

So while i may not be the best person to take advice from for you next build, i am most certainly qualified enough to help you figure out why it isnt working.

Just like Vern can build you a PC like a mad man. But he doesnt know Windows all that well.

Everyone has their strong points. The Rep system is to be used so that people can see that a member does give good advice. That way instead of reading a post count and thinking that someone does they can check out their rep and see that not only do they contribute but they help out.

There will be those with a high post count that wont have such a high rep cause of the areas they regular.

Again this is a work in progress. As i have already stated having this start up so late in the forum life time is going to be hard to get it working perfectly from teh start. There is going to be bumps along the way that we will have to over come.

ah, so its not just the new members that are limited. So only staff members can give rep points?

This is the purpose of the system.

It is not for popularity. If it turns out that people are just repping others to make it be so the system will be disabled.

It is in fact to be used to show knowledge of the poster. IF they know their stuff and if they give out good info.

It is not so that you and a few friends can gang up and rep each other every chance you can to see who can get the highest rep.

This system is to take place of people putting such a high regard on post count. Cause having a high post count doesnt equal knowledge in every aspect. People can have a high post count but not know all that much bout certain aspects of computing.

I have a high post count but i am not that great with the hardware aspect at this time. It has been 5 years since i built my own PC. But i can troubleshoot and figure out what is going wrong.

So while i may not be the best person to take advice from for you next build, i am most certainly qualified enough to help you figure out why it isnt working.

Just like Vern can build you a PC like a mad man. But he doesnt know Windows all that well.

Everyone has their strong points. The Rep system is to be used so that people can see that a member does give good advice. That way instead of reading a post count and thinking that someone does they can check out their rep and see that not only do they contribute but they help out.

There will be those with a high post count that wont have such a high rep cause of the areas they regular.

Again this is a work in progress. As i have already stated having this start up so late in the forum life time is going to be hard to get it working perfectly from teh start. There is going to be bumps along the way that we will have to over come.

i couldn't agree more, what i was trying to say is, the fact that new members (i see why you made it this way, im just saying) can't give rep points eliminates people who help from getting rep from them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom