I think I killed my processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure your secondary power connector is in securely? I had the same thing with you where you can't turn off the pc with the power button. It was because I dumbly only connected the main plug to the mobo and didn't have the other one in.

Yep, everything is connected properly. If I take the CPU out, I can use the power button to turn the PC off...

have you looked at the mobo very carefully and make sure you didn't blow a resistor, or bend something in your process of cleaning? I'll be honest, without being there or re-creating the problem... I'm at a lose in this end. Sorry, man... You done everything that I would do short of rebuilding.

I have made sure the PSU connections are all there.

I normally never take out the CPU during the cleaning, but this time it came out with the heatsink (the thermal paste acted as a glue, lol)

yep, that happens from time to time, and by re-inserting the cpu with out changing the lock to unlock and then relock.. and then fireing it up may have damaged the CPu and or MB

I removed it for a minute and it didn't do a thing, but I'll leave it out for 10 minutes or so, just to make sure.

Nope, nothing... :(

Removing the battery does not always reset your Cmos, please read through your MB manual to "Flash the Bios" this is usually a 3 pin close to your battery that when jumpered from the pin 1 and 2 to 2 and 3 will flash your Bios.. but please consult your MB manual for the exact method for your board.

Oh my God, I think I have been putting in the CPU incorrectly this whole time.

The bar pictured in this photo: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/matt08642/IMG_0574-1.png

was DOWN the WHOLE TIME. after putting the CPU in while the bar was in the down position, I had to jam the heatsink on, and then I turned the computer on...

Do you think that by doing this, I ruined the CPU? This would certainly explain why the CPU was coming out so easily...

please refer to my reply above ;)

did you say you were forcing the cpu in the socket this whole time without ever unlocking the bar to put it in ?
just making sure i understood correctly.
ya the main 20/24 connector you have to plug in the soft power connector in also.
if it was not seated in the holes and you had to reef on the sink to get it locked down
it deff may have damaged it.
but make sure you check the socket also closely and it was not damaged before you get another cpu.

now i might be wrong but from the pictures that i looked at of your processor it looks as if in the second picture a pin in the top left corner looks bent. if it is its probably your issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom