I think I killed my processor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt08642

Daemon Poster
I was doing one of my normal case cleanings, which involve taking out EVERYTHING and dusting all the parts, etc.

When I put everything back together, my computer won't boot. It turns on, then the fans just spin at full speed. i can't even turn it off with the button on the front, I have to turn off the PSU.

I was taking out parts and trying it without them, and no change until i took out the CPU and started the computer. When the CPU is removed, the computer beeps, and I am able to turn it off normally. When the CPU is in, nothing.

Is this a sure sign that I have somehow broken my CPU?

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Nvidia GeForce 8600GT
1GB DDR400 RAM
200GB HDD

the battery on your mobo is what saves your bios settings. Remove that for a few minutes and it will reset your CMOS. (Your bios settings in a nut shell) have you also made sure that you have all lyour PSU connections in place and secure?

the battery on your mobo is what saves your bios settings. Remove that for a few minutes and it will reset your CMOS. (Your bios settings in a nut shell) have you also made sure that you have all lyour PSU connections in place and secure?

I have made sure the PSU connections are all there.

I normally never take out the CPU during the cleaning, but this time it came out with the heatsink (the thermal paste acted as a glue, lol)

I'll try this and report back :)

I have made sure the PSU connections are all there.

I normally never take out the CPU during the cleaning, but this time it came out with the heatsink (the thermal paste acted as a glue, lol)

I'll try this and report back :)

I removed it for a minute and it didn't do a thing, but I'll leave it out for 10 minutes or so, just to make sure.

Nope, nothing... :(

Any other suggestions? The hard drive activity light doesn't do anything when the CPU is in place. :(

Oh my God, I think I have been putting in the CPU incorrectly this whole time.

The bar pictured in this photo: http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/matt08642/IMG_0574-1.png

was DOWN the WHOLE TIME. after putting the CPU in while the bar was in the down position, I had to jam the heatsink on, and then I turned the computer on...

Do you think that by doing this, I ruined the CPU? This would certainly explain why the CPU was coming out so easily...

The way the pins are you cannot put the cpu in the socket incorrectly and have the pins go down into the socket. For future reference see the white cornor on the motherboard, There is a corosponding corner on the cpu to ensure you are putting it in in the correct orientation.

Have you pulled the bar up, inseted the cpu properly put down the bar and put the heatsink on since these problems arose?

The way the pins are you cannot put the cpu in the socket incorrectly and have the pins go down into the socket. For future reference see the white cornor on the motherboard, There is a corosponding corner on the cpu to ensure you are putting it in in the correct orientation.

Have you pulled the bar up, inseted the cpu properly put down the bar and put the heatsink on since these problems arose?

Yes, I tried that, still nothing.

Are you sure your secondary power connector is in securely? I had the same thing with you where you can't turn off the pc with the power button. It was because I dumbly only connected the main plug to the mobo and didn't have the other one in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom