help with build???

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailrider894

Baseband Member
i'm looking to build a computer that will support a xp/mac dual boot for video editing??!?!?!? for under 700. i'm trying for under 500 if it is possible. nothing to fancy just enough to keep up with my software.

Dual booting XP and Mac? I'm not sure you can do that(maybe with special software), because as far as I know, Mac OS can only run on proprietary Apple hardware.

Under $500-700 is a little steep for a computer with the purposes of video editing. Usually for video editing, you'd want a dual or quad(preferred) processor, a lot of HDD space, and 2GB+ RAM. Unless it's minor editing.

I'll see what I can list up.

Also, do you need just the tower or the whole system(monitor, speakers, keys/mouse, OS, etc.)?

i'm talking just for the tower. it isn't like insane editing just minor editing and some live video feeds. also i need it to have a vga and a s video out put.

what kind of os would you reccomend??? i run xp pro s2 now. i use a wide range of programs from. pinnacle studio to adobe premier pro cs4. i would like to check out some of the stuff that mac offers but i don't know if i wanna dive into that spectrum?? what would u reccomend??

I would stick with what you know for your editing and such. Dive into the unknown later on if you get bored or have another machine that you can play around with. So IMO stay with Windows as most of your other programs will most likely need it to run, unless you have the Mac version handy.

I would recommend XP with SP3. Home or Pro doesn't matter really....because it's just the stability that most people trust. Vista though, is pretty stable itself. If you want to go into Vista you can. Or you can wait for Windows 7 which should be later this year. It's still in beta, but I've heard and read that it's already better than Vista. So I think XP for now, and Windows 7 later if you want.

Also if that price and list is ok for you, that's good. If not, I can trim it a little.

*edit*
lol...Nukem, we seem to be colliding often huh

yeah well the price is with rebates. and i don't know if i can come up with what it will be without rebates.

yeah well the price is with rebates. and i don't know if i can come up with what it will be without rebates.

I trimmed it a little by replacing that motherboard with this one:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3LR LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
They're both similar, but this is a toned down version.

And 2GB of RAM can make do:
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

With those two replacements to the list, the total comes down to $549.88 w/o shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom