• Sequential

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEATH-INCARNATE

In Runtime
hi guys i am getting pretty fed up windows xp lately. so i want to start learning KDE (k desktop enviroment). KDE is a UNIX os with GUI. but i dont want to get rid of windows because i must still learn KDE and continue to work windows. so i want to know.

1: is it possible to have these to os's on one pc.
2: what sort of pc spec do i need to use KDE.
3: can KDE or some other linux os use all the pc games that windows can like half-life and c&c generals.
4: is it really worth going to linux than windows. should i rather stick with windows.

NOTE : I AM A GAMER AND PC GAMES MATTER THE MOST TO ME.

DEATH-INCARNATE

1. Yes, it is possible to have multiple OS's on a single computer. Check in the Linux forum, and they'll help you with it. Although, I believe that most Linux distro's will automatically see the windows OS, and install themselves on another partition.

2. Name the specs that you've got. Most likely, they'll work with a Linux distro. I've heard of some more recent Linux distro's running well on P2's.

3. Games aren't usually written for Linux. Some people say that it is harder to write programs for Linux/Unix. Personally, I think that the gaming companies don't believe there will be enough demand for Linux games. You can use Wine or Winex, which try to emulate Windows, but it doesn't do so well.

4. Depends on you.

Sorry, gotta go. Will try and edit this last response later.

Sorry abou that. Boss came in, and asked me to do some driving around this afternoon. Back to question 4.

4. It depends on you, and what you do with your computer, and want to do with your computer.

Since you stated that PC games matter the most to you, you probably don't want to move to Linux. There are some games available, but not nearly as many as there are for Windows.

If you're tired of the viruses, and constant patching that comes with Windows, then you might want to consider Linux. Linux is much more customizable than Windows is. Most of the software is free.

The drawbacks are that there isn't as much hardware support for Linux, and you have to know a little bit about computers.

so you say i ca have both linux and windows on the same computer thats good. i like want to work on the linux one and play on the windows on. do you know where i can download a gui version of linux. thanks

DEATH-INCARNATE

http://www.linuxiso.org/

That should do you. There are various distro's to download there, so I advise looking into each one a little bit to see which one is best for you and your needs.

TMT. :cool:

Exactly what TMT said. There are several different versions available on that site.

You can also do a quick search of the Linux forum on this site, as there have been people asking about which distro is the best. A lot of the people that have responded have said a little bit about their choices.

Another site I suggest you go to, especially if you don't know anything about Linux, is www.linux.org. They have some tutorials available there. Of course, if you have problems, there is always someone available to help.

thanks dudes. are you sure i can have both linux and xp on my system i have data that i cant lose. I would like UNIX KDE on my pc i have seen reviews on this os in mags and on internet does anyone know this os. will it work with xp?

DEATH-INCARNATE

I've done it before and it works fine. Just make sure you install a boot loader and select the appropriate partition for your Windows installation. I know that installing a boot loader comes as a major option in the setup of RedHat/Fedora, but I'm not sure about other distro's.

TMT. :cool:

Might be easier to try a live distrubution like knoppix first so you will not have to install anything until you learn how to use linux. It is a cd bootable version of linux. There are a couple of others also, don't know the names right off hand though. Knoppix is at www.knoppix.com. Hope that helps.
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom