Check out this build for my friend... $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
Well usually I wouldn't ask for help on a build, but I want to make sure this is perfect for his needs.

His needs are:

1. NO NVIDIA
2. NO INTEL
(A firm hate for both, which I'm not going to try to convert. I've tried and failed with nVIdia when he used to use a HD 2900XT... but anyways.. forget about that)

(recent lightning storm has rendered his whole rig fried..)

Budget is $1000 USD:
Phenom II X4 940 (he's not much of a multi-tasker but I was wondering if AM3 was worth considering here)
Biostar 790GX
4GB DDR2 (or DDR3 if AM3 is worth considering here)
AMD Radeon HD 4870 1GB (no nVidia so that's probably the best he can afford)
Corsair 750TX (He'll most likely CrossfireX in the future)
Uses a 24'' 1080p monitor
Case will be reused along with Optical Drives, Mouse, Keyboard

Really I'm 99% sure this build is fine, but AM3 seems to be something I'm not sure about.. that's the only place where I need help

Here is a pretty nice article on the AM3:
AnandTech: The Phenom II X4 810 & X3 720: AMD Gets DDR3 But Doesn't Need It

I would consider getting the X3 720. If he's into gaming, the 720 is almost on par with a 940 and is like $65 cheaper. It holds some really good value.
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Black Processor - Processors - Desktops

They also overclock pretty well, if you read the article they go into details. Although you'll need a AM3 compatible mobo.

AM3 is having right probs now w/ 4x1gb sticks DDR3 or anything more than 2 sticks. Just so you know. I would agree and go X3 though.

You don't need a AM3 board to run them. You can use a AM2/AM2+ board that only supports DDR2, provided with proper bios.

Another good point of advice is to get a surge suppressor of some sort so he doesn't have to build a $1k rig every time there is a bad lightening storm.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom